Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Eye crust even after vet visit??

trickyvikki

Cavy Slave
So i took my piggy to the vet about a week and a half ago for a crusty eye. she said everything was fine normal breathing and heart sounds. He had solid poop and weighed a good amount (hes alittle close to being underweight so she told me to up the amount of pellets and veggies) She checked his teeth and they looked fine but he still had eye crust. She could not figure out why he had eye crust as he had no eye injuries (she used a dye and couldn't see anything on his eye) she gave me an ointment for his eye (Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and BAcitracin Zinc Ophthalmic USP, its a long name but thats what the box says) I was putting it on his eye for a week 2x a day and he looked better but his eye is crusty. Should i give him the cream again or take him in?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just one crusty eye?

If only one, it may be a blocked tear duct. You could continue with the ointment, but I'd also gently clean the crust off with a clean damp cloth, then very very very gently massage the corner of the eye. Do that a couple of times a day for several days and see if that helps.

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Could you send a picture of the eye? Maybe it will help us all kind of know for sure what we can do to help you. Thanks!

trickyvikki

Cavy Slave
This is what his eye looks like it?s his left in case that is important (this was after I wiped it with a Luke warm cloth I used distilled water and then I microwave the gauze for like 5 seconds so it wasn?t cold or to hot. ) when it?s not wiped it gets almost like an ?eye boogie? type thing in it normally white with a very faint blue hint to it.

Ill try massaging his eye before the cream. The vet told me to use my finger to apply it but I never thought to ask about like soap and weather or not I should wash my hands because it makes sense but I don?t want the soap to hurt him more.
Thanks for all your suggestions!

Attachments

F2A18D1D-4C43-4F76-BAAE-4ABAE94EFF39.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.