Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing My little girl is really a little boy isn't she!

TheSmiths

Cavy Gazer
Hi! We've recently adopted/rescued 4 guinea pigs that we thought were female...

But... this little one isn't... I'm sure she's a he! Can anyone help me? Thanks so much in advance!

20180209_100112_resized (1).jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It does look like it could possibly be a boar, have a feel just above the genitals. Male guinea pigs have a bone in their penis which can be felt as a firm line under the skin, if you press down just above where this line starts and roll your finger down the penis will pop out. Female guinea pigs will be soft and squishy above their genitals as they don't have a bone there, and if you roll your finger down nothing will happen.

TheSmiths

Cavy Gazer
Thanks! I unsuccessfully tried this method before, but I don't think I applied enough pressure... Just tried again and can 100% confirm... he's a BOY! :) Thanks again for your help! :)

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I would double check the other guinea pigs too and separate boys from girls and keep an eye on any of the girls cause they could already be pregnant. I hope their not but it is likely if they were all housed together. How old are the guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.