Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Should I add 2 more piggies?

Gigizerogravity

Cavy Slave
I currently have 2 female guinea pigs, which were purchased from a local pet store by my girlfriend as a gift. After doing further research, we learned that pet stores aren't the greatest option for getting ANY pet, but our girls seem to be happy and healthy so we got lucky. I recently came across two guinea pigs at a rescue, both females, and was wondering if it would be a good idea to add to the family? My current guinea pigs don't really seem to have a bond, but they don't fight. Should I take in the other two, and would this make them happier?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't take them in to make anybody happier unless it's you and your girlfriend. They might be fine all together, or not. There's no way to know until you try. If you want them, the safest thing to do would be to have two pairs until you get to know their personalities well enough to decide if they could all live together.

Do you have room for four? It requires a really large cage if you're going to put them all together. And do you have the money for vet bills? Some pigs never have to go to the vet, others can have very expensive illnesses.

Gigizerogravity

Cavy Slave
I definitely have enough room, my current set up is just under 10 square feet and we have room to expand. The vet bills are a good point tho, we both have a stable income but if all four were to come down with an illness money would be tight. This is going to take a great deal of consideration...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.