Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing I'm pretty sure my guinea pig is a boy.

day4rmvegas

Cavy Gazer
I adopted a "female" guinea pig from Petco a couple weeks ago. She has been very scared and I was finally able to pick her up today. I noticed "she" has HUGE BALLS. I'm so mad because I thought she was a girl this whole time and have been calling her little girl and gave her a girl name. I called the petco and asked them if it is normal for female guinea pigs to have balls?! They hung up on me. I called back and explained to them that they sold me a guinea pig and told me it was a girl but it seems very much like a boy because he has big testicles, I can tell the guy got very uncomfortable whenever I mentioned balls for some reason . He got very mad and told me that it doesn't matter if it's a boy or girl because you're supposed to take care of them the same way. I explained to him that it's not ok that they told me false info that he was a female and I've already given him a female name and he just told me that it doesn't matter that they mistook him as a femals. What if I had another female pig and wanted to get a female to make sure they didn't mate and then they ended up having babies (which I don't have time to take care of babies) all because they told me false info? The manager at petco is making it seem like its no big deal and it doesn't matter. What's your opinion ? Also I've had him for 2 weeks now and he is still very scared and making noises all the time. I have no idea how to calm him, when I pick him up he starts crying and biting my shirt or my arm (not hard) . why is he not comfortable yet? Will he ever get used to me?

Attachments

received_1494467340629734.jpg

day4rmvegas

Cavy Gazer
I adopted a "female" guinea pig from Petco a couple weeks ago. She has been very scared and I was finally able to pick her up today. I noticed "she" has HUGE BALLS. I'm so mad because I thought she was a girl this whole time and have been calling her little girl and gave her a girl name. I called the petco and asked them if it is normal for female guinea pigs to have balls?! They hung up on me. I called back and explained to them that they sold me a guinea pig and told me it was a girl but it seems very much like a boy because he has big testicles, I can tell the guy got very uncomfortable whenever I mentioned balls for some reason . He got very mad and told me that it doesn't matter if it's a boy or girl because you're supposed to take care of them the same way. I explained to him that it's not ok that they told me false info that he was a female and I've already given him a female name and he just told me that it doesn't matter that they mistook him as a femals. What if I had another female pig and wanted to get a female to make sure they didn't mate and then they ended up having babies (which I don't have time to take care of babies) all because they told me false info? The manager at petco is making it seem like its no big deal and it doesn't matter. What's your opinion ? Also I've had him for 2 weeks now and he is still very scared and making noises all the time. I have no idea how to calm him, when I pick him up he starts crying and biting my shirt or my arm (not hard) . why is he not comfortable yet? Will he ever get used to me?

Attachments

20170904_150636.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I realize this might sound oversimplistic, but yes, you have a boy pig by the looks of it. If you plan on keeping him, then there's no sense in being mad about it. Love him for who he is.

"What if" you had another female pig? Well, you don't, do you? The folks at Petco that got uncomfortable on the phone are likely teenagers and don't really know what to say to you. They're also more than likely uneducated on most, if not all of the animals they sell. This would be why we advocate adoption from shelters, rather than purchase or "adopt" as they like to call it, at pet stores.

I understand all of this is water under the bridge at this point. You have a male pig. You have two choices. Keep him, love him for who he is, hopefully get him a male buddy, and live happily ever after.

Or get rid of him.

I do hope you keep him. Regardless of where he came from doesn't make a difference at this point. He deserves love and attention and the best care you can possibly give him. I truly hope you can do that.

As far as him getting used to you, some pigs take weeks, months and in some cases years to get used to their humans. Some, simply never do. It requires all kinds of effort on your part. Just sitting with him, petting him and spending time with him are the best ways to get him used to you and to trust you. Yummy treats also help tremendously.
And again, having a buddy will certainly help him calm down.

day4rmvegas

Cavy Gazer
I wasn't mad that he ended up being a boy I was mad because the petco told me that it was a 2 year old girl and the lady was holding him telling him he's a good girl and explaining to me everything he needed as if she already had him for a while. & No I do not have a a female but I was using that as an example for why they should have found out the sex before telling someone it's a girl when it was not because sometimes it doesn't end up good. I spoke with a manager so he should have some knowledge but he literally didn't care at all. & I will definitely see about getting him a friend , I think he would be much more comfortable if he had one. Thanks for your advice

I realize this might sound oversimplistic, but yes, you have a boy pig by the looks of it. If you plan on keeping him, then there's no sense in being mad about it. Love him for who he is.

"What if" you had another female pig? Well, you don't, do you? The folks at Petco that got uncomfortable on the phone are likely teenagers and don't really know what to say to you. They're also more than likely uneducated on most, if not all of the animals they sell. This would be why we advocate adoption from shelters, rather than purchase or "adopt" as they like to call it, at pet stores.

I understand all of this is water under the bridge at this point. You have a male pig. You have two choices. Keep him, love him for who he is, hopefully get him a male buddy, and live happily ever after.

Or get rid of him.

I do hope you keep him. Regardless of where he came from doesn't make a difference at this point. He deserves love and attention and the best care you can possibly give him. I truly hope you can do that.

As far as him getting used to you, some pigs take weeks, months and in some cases years to get used to their humans. Some, simply never do. It requires all kinds of effort on your part. Just sitting with him, petting him and spending time with him are the best ways to get him used to you and to trust you. Yummy treats also help tremendously.
And again, having a buddy will certainly help him calm down.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just so you know, I wasn't trying to insult you. I was just "What iffing"

You're absolutely right about the Petco employees. They know virtually nothing about the animals they sell and most of them care even less. It's just a job to them. You'll occasionally find an employee who has a knowledge of a certain species, simply because it's their particular animal that they're passionate about.

I was going to say, that with well developed "boys" like that, he's certainly not a baby by any means.

Again, you're right about Petco employees. You can be mad at them if you want, but their response will be the same. They don't care. All you can do is enjoy your new little fella. I'm not sure if you've ever had pigs before, but if you're looking for advice or help in any way, you're in the right place to look for it.

Pigs are amazing little animals and they will grow on you like a bad weed and steal your heart before you know it.

That's why we're all here.

day4rmvegas

Cavy Gazer
No I understand I just didn't want you to think I was unhappy that he's a boy I didn't mean to make it seem like that. But thank you for your help! I just let him in a room to wonder around and he seems like he's having fun. Lol
Just hoping he gets used to me soon

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to insult you. I was just "What iffing"

You're absolutely right about the Petco employees. They know virtually nothing about the animals they sell and most of them care even less. It's just a job to them. You'll occasionally find an employee who has a knowledge of a certain species, simply because it's their particular animal that they're passionate about.

I was going to say, that with well developed "boys" like that, he's certainly not a baby by any means.

Again, you're right about Petco employees. You can be mad at them if you want, but their response will be the same. They don't care. All you can do is enjoy your new little fella. I'm not sure if you've ever had pigs before, but if you're looking for advice or help in any way, you're in the right place to look for it.

Pigs are amazing little animals and they will grow on you like a bad weed and steal your heart before you know it.

That's why we're all here.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Spend lots of time with him and when you pick him up for cuddle time, give him something tasty to munch. That'll go a long way to having him trust and accept you.

Good luck on finding him a buddy. I hope your search goes well and you end up with a happy pair of fellas!

Keep us updated on your progress.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Spend lots of time with him and when you pick him up for cuddle time, give him something tasty to munch. That'll go a long way to having him trust and accept you.

Keep us updated on your progress.

We have one piggie that requires treats (veggies) to be fed in order to stay happily in your lap. The other one prefers it too. Otherwise they like to get down, run around, head butt me, climb on me, hide etc. They will come back to me for more veggies. Sometimes this is how I will feed them most of their salad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.