Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Baytril & Metacam how long is safe?

Ginny123

Cavy Slave
Hi,

My guinea pig is currently being medicated with baytril and metacam for a toe injury.
She has been on the metacam (0.15 ml twice daily) for 12 days in total,
the baytril (0.2 ml twice daily) is coming up to 7 days on Wednesday.

I am new to medicating guinea pigs, I would like to know for how long is safe for a guinea pig to keep on having baytril and metacam.

What is a safe time frame?

I am asking this in case the vet decides to continue her with this medication, and because some of you have a lot of experience with medicating guinea pigs.

Thanks for everyones replies in advance.

Very long term use of metacam can cause kidney problems, but 12 days isn't likely to cause any harm. However, if she's not in pain, I'd stop it.

Baytril can be used for a longer time, and the usual length of dosage is about two weeks.

What kind of toe injury?

Thanks for your reply.

The toe injury is a knock to the nail bed, which eventually scabbed over.

At the time of the second consult the vet agreed it showed no signs of being broken in which an x-ray wasn't necessary.

There seems to be a slight infection present due to the fact that the baytril is working. The toe has improved but progress is slow and gradual. It doesn't seem to bother my piggie in the least, even when it was quite bad.

In addition the metacam has reduced the swelling.

I shall seek further advice from the vet if the toe doesn't entirely clear up within the next two three weeks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.