Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Brothers fighting? What do I do?!

Cheestachio

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I understand that many guinea pigs housed together can fight to establish dominance. However, I also know there is a line that cannot be crossed, which may have been crossed. While cleaning their cage and checking them for fleas, etc. I noticed a small hole straight through one of their ears. It is very clean and doesn't seem to be painful, but I'm worried about what it could lead to. Most likely a lot of you will tell me to split them up, however this will not be possible because of a lack of space. If they do have to be seperated I would have to get rid of one of my boys which I DO NOT want to do. The pig with the hole has always been pushed around by his brother but neither have ever been legitimately injured before as far as I know. Please help me!
P.s the bullied one is named Spike and the dominate one is Gizmo. They have been raised and housed together their whole lives, not just when I adopted them.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
What size is their cage? A lack of space is a huge contributor to aggression. Especially in young males.

Also be sure that all of your hides have more than 1 entrance so no pigs can be trapped. Fleece forests work great. Male sure you have at least 2 of everything at opposite ends of the cage if possible.

Cheestachio

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your reply. I can confirm double of everything and they can easily escape their hidies if needed. The size of their cage is c&c 2x3 grids, which i know is absolute bare minimum, however i do not physically have the space for a larger cage.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
That's small. Males need much bigger space than females. That might be the only problem because if you got two of everything then that's already taking up space.

Cheestachio

Cavy Slave
I understand. I will do my best to try and find more space. What size do you recommend it be for the 2 of them? Also, do I need to seperate them for the time being? They dont fight often but the hole Gizmo put in Spikes ear has me a little concerned it could get worse.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
i do not physically have the space for a larger cage.

Then you are going to have problems with two males in a 2x3 cage. A 2x3 is the minimum space for ONE piggy. :eek:hmy:

You would be surprised at some of the creative solutions that people have come up with who don't have a lot of space (me included). We have several people here on the Forum who are superb at creating spaces and cages to fit in those spaces. Why don't you post pics of the room where you keep the boys and perhaps someone(s) will be able to help you? #Lissie........are you out there?

Cheestachio

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much, I will post a new thread with pictures to get some ideas on building. Excited to see some of the designs considering the size of the room! ( not big at all)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.