Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

New Baby Cagemate... Need age... Possibly not weaned...

PiggieMama07

Cavy Slave
I purhased a new piggie today and have some concerns. I have been forum-surfing but still want to ask some questions.

I'm worried she isn't at the age to have been weaned because she hasn't eaten. Coming off of a guinea who died from GI stasis whose first symptom was anorexia, I'm more than a little concerned. She isn't bloated but should I leave her be or feed her CC?
I've looked at her nails for an idea but I'll weigh her soon to find out her approximate age. Are there any other ways?

Questions:
Should I wait or feed CC to a cage-mate baby piggie?
Best ways of finding age on piggie?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Babies can eat solid food. Maybe she's just scared and needs some time to get used to the new home.

Try putting the food right outside her hidey door.

Is she from a pet store? She could be sick. Monitor her weight. Weigh her the same time everyday, preferably before feeding.

PiggieMama07

Cavy Slave
She was just scared. I'm definitely going to monitor her weight, and re-check her gender right before she meets my other piggie. She was from a pet store and I know they are not the most reliable sources, but she is under a watchful eye.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.