Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick I'm not sure if my piggie is sick or not

• Thread starter PatchesIsPatchy
  • Start date

PatchesIsPatchy

Cavy Slave
I've had my 2 male pigs for about a little over a month now. They're both two and a half years and they've been housed together for almost their whole lives.

I noticed that Patches had crust around one of his eyes. The only thing i started doing different was I used carefresh instead of fleece bedding because I just wanted to test what I liked most. He's still eating like normal. and If I put him on my bed he'll usually run around and even start to popcorn(which i hadn't really seen him do at all until recent). He likes laying down a lot, like if he's on my lap he'll plop on his side like a puppy while I play games. But he's liked doing that ever since I got him, so It's not really a change from the usual. I;ve seen a droplet of snot (at least i think thats what it was) once while he was cleaning himself.

I decided to change back to fleece because I ran out of carefresh and I don't see any crust in his eye anymore. It cleared up overnight completely

Also I'm in Ohio, and the weather out here has been crazy. for a good week and a half it was like 60f degrees and all the sudden it's really cold again. So maybe the weather has something to do with it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

I doubt that the weather or the carefresh had anything to do with it. He probably had a blocked tear duct, but manage to unblock it himself while rubbing his face.

But don't let him run around on your bed. Guinea pigs have eyes on the side of their heads, like horses, and thus have no depth perception at all. He can easily get spooked by one of the eagles he thinks is flying around your house, run off the bed, and hurt himself.

Here's some reading material for new guinea pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

PatchesIsPatchy

Cavy Slave
Alright thank you! ill keep him in his playpen for floor time from now on! I'm keeping a good eye on him just to make sure its safe to bring his brother back in here

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
The extra dust from the Carefresh could've contributed to his eye getting yucky in the first place, but bpatters is right.

In general, when something is going on only in one eye, it indicates an injury or blocked duct, rather than an illness.
When a pig is sick, any eye symptoms will usually be in both eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatchesIsPatchy

Cavy Slave
I took Patches to the vet, and he does in fact have a URI :( they have him on baytril. I started him on it saturday night. He seems a lot better than when I took him to the vet. that day he just layed on his side and refused to move unless i took him out to hand feed.

I was just wondring if anyone you guys knew how long it usually takes to start seeing results? He seems happier. But he's still sneezing and now and again he whistles. It's just scary to me bc he's like my son and idk if im just being paranoid.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So glad to hear Patches is doing better. Baytril is a very strong antibiotic and you should start seeing results fairly quickly, though some stubborn URI's take more time to completely get rid of. Baytril will also upset his digestive system and you definitely need to make sure he's eating and drinking enough, and if he isn't he'll have to be force fed Critical Care several times a day. Also, a probiotic given an hour after his antibiotic will greatly help to restore the good gut bacteria that the antibiotic will kill. Though I've not experienced it myself, some pigs have taken several weeks to get rid of a stubborn URI. Vigilance is the key to his recovery! It really does sound like you got him in just in the nick of time!

PatchesIsPatchy

Cavy Slave
thank you, also. they're having me give him a crushed pill mixed with yogurt. Is this okay? I trust my vet enough to know what he's talking about so i'd assume its fine since I'm not like filling him w/ it. i just want a second opinion

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yogurt is definitely NOT ok for Patches. Piggies don't eat dairy anything. Baytril is best in liquid form and I wouldn't trust a vet that gave it to me in pill form. If it's all you've got, crush it into a fine powder and mix it with some fruit or vegetable baby food and syringe feed it to him. He has to get all of the medication. Other members here can tell you what baby food seems to work best.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any kind of pure baby food will work. Most pigs like squash. You can also give plain pumpkin (not the pie filling).

Agreed, no yogurt.

PatchesIsPatchy

Cavy Slave
Alright, I'mma pick up some baby food tonight along with some cilantro (i heard piggies really like it). Is there a certain kind I should grab? like brandwise.

And for an update on him. He's eating more and all of his discarge is gone. and he only whistles if he gets spooked and is breathing real hard. He's eating a lot of cucumber bc he doesn't like drinking his water (which is normal for him). He seems to be picking out only the kale and green peppers, so I wanna go shopping to see if i can find anything new for him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.