Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Piggy diagnosed w/ URI; anything I can do in between antibiotics?

GinnyandRoxy13

Cavy Slave
This morning I noticed one of my guinea pigs breathing heavy; she was wheezing with every breath. We were alarmed because I have heard about URIs and it sounded a lot like the description. We took her to the vet right away and sure enough, she was diagnosed with a URI. It's not too serious yet because it hasn't spread to her chest yet. The vet gave us antibiotics that she will take every twelve hours for two weeks. She's been acting normal (not pooping much, but eating) but she's still breathing really heavy. Is there anything I can do to help her besides the antibiotics?? The answer is probably no, but it worries me a lot and I don't think I'll be able to sleep at night with her like this.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Just keep watching her eating and drinking. Sounds like you've got it all under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It will take a while for the antibiotic to kick in.

Weigh her daily, just before breakfast, to make sure she's eating enough. And if she stops eating, you'll have to force feed her.

How old is she? And what antibiotics did the vet give? Name? Strength? Dose?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.