Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General My guinea pig is occasionally sneezing and sounds congested, should I be worried?

kcake67

Cavy Slave
Hi there! So I got my first guinea pig about a week ago. He is a young black abyssinian male. I have a few concerns though. I have noticed the occasional sneezing. Maybe 4 or 5 times a day. And he sounds kind of congested. I am using hay from the petstore. It is Kaytee timothy hay for those who want to know. And his bedding is Kaytee clean and cozy. He is my first guinea pig I ever owned, although I have owned multiple hamsters in the past. His name is Batman for those who are curious. Should I be concerned?

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I would schedule an appointment with an exotics pet vet just to be sure as he may have a URI.

Generally kaytee hay isn't the best choice so you could try switching it to one of oxbows hays that I have heard are good quality. I personally have tons of places local to me where I can just buy 50 pound bales of fresh hay so it may be worth checking to see if you have a local supplier.

Also I'm not sure if you are aware but guinea pigs should always be kept in pairs as they are social animals.

Hope this helps some, keep us updated!

kcake67

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I did not know you could get different types of hay. I'll see what I can get him! Also, I was aware they should be kept in pairs or more. I currently am not able to get another guinea pig, but, I am planning to in February! I was thinking he may have a URI. But this is the only symptom he has. I will still try to schedule a vet's appointment! Thank you again!
-Kcake67 and Batman

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.