Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guina pig fight with blood, what should I do?

Kallen Hancock

Cavy Slave
Hello, my roommate and I have two guinea pigs and they've been fine for over 5 months living in the same cage. They are both female, we believe the slightly older one is a Cuy and my younger one is Abyssinian. We got them at the same time and they've had dominance shows but nothing with actual injuries till today. I heard them talking like normal and nothing seemed wrong till I went over to their cage. I picked up Freya (the younger one) and saw dried blood, after looking further her ear was hurt and there is blood underneath. Radar (the older baby) had no blood on her and was just scared. I have separated them into different cages for now but I'm trying to figure out if I should try to clean her wound myself, let her clean it or take her to the vet. Also I have no clue if they will be able to live together again. Any information or advice would help me, I just want to make sure they are both ok.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, how big is your cage? Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression. If it's a pet store cage, it's barely large enough for one pig, not large enough for two, and certainly not when one of them is a cuy.

If your cage is an adequate size (Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for suggested measurements. Remember that they're measured in grids, not feet, and the grids are 14 inches square. The sizes are recommended minimums, and bigger is always better.), then put them back together.

I wouldn't do anything to the wound except watch it very carefully. If it shows any signs of infection (swelling, redness, heat, pus, odor), then get her to a vet.

Kallen Hancock

Cavy Slave
We have a cage that is 48" L X 16.5" W X 24" H, with 2 shelves and ramps, it was the largest store bought cage we found near us. It's a big rectangle, but I'm trying to check the grid thing now, thank you for the help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's way less than the recommended size for one pig, and the shelves and ramps plus hideys take up even more room.

Guinea pigs need a flat space to run around in, and cramped conditions almost always lead to injury. I'd leave them separated until I could provide a cage that at least double that size. And before you put them in a new cage, you'll have to re-introduce them. See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for how to do that, and do it when you've got hours to devote to if it becomes necessary.

Kallen Hancock

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much, I feel stupid at this point. I'll make sure they are all set up as soon as possible.

rhiogan

Cavy Slave
Are you completely positive that the wound was caused by the other piggy?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cdmcwilliams

Cavy Slave
bpatters, I would just like to say that I am very new to this forum, but I see you everywhere. :)
You have helped me greatly with my piggies, just doing a search and you pop up giving great information to everyone.
I greatly appreciate this forum, and appreciate the time that you take to give everyone much needed advice and information.
Thank you very much, I know my piggies are very greatful as well. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you!!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
bpatters, I would just like to say that I am very new to this forum, but I see you everywhere. :)
You have helped me greatly with my piggies, just doing a search and you pop up giving great information to everyone.
I greatly appreciate this forum, and appreciate the time that you take to give everyone much needed advice and information.
Thank you very much, I know my piggies are very greatful as well. :)

I couldn't have said it better. Every bit of advice given to me by bpatters has been spot on, she is extremely knowledgeable, and like you, myself and my piggies are truly appreciative. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.