Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Cut on nose, what should I do?

Maisie&Hazel

Cavy Slave
I checked earlier this morning, and my 6month old pig named Hazel has a cut just underneath her nose, on the pink part leading to her mouth. It's a shallow cut, it isn't bleeding, but there is dried blood around it. I think it might be a strand of hay in her nose, but I'm not entirely sure.
I checked on her again this afternoon and now the right side of her pink part under her nose is slightly swollen.
Do you need pictures, and what should I do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, a picture would help.

Does she live alone, or with a cage mate?

Maisie&Hazel

Cavy Slave
She lives with a thicc 2yr old sow who mainly is chill with her unless Hazel goes into the hidie Maisie's in. I just woke up, but I will get pictures to you ASAP.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
When Amigo cut his nose/lip, his lip swelled up but I ended up not doing anything for him. It got better on his own. I'm not sure about putting anything on that area since they could ingest it or the other pig could lick it off. I would post a pic anyway, especially is hay may be stuck in her nose.

Maisie&Hazel

Cavy Slave
Thanks. When I get home I'll show you. I'm hoping it's like @4boipigs said, and that it'll scab over and heal on its own.(y)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A hidey with only one door is just an invitation for one pig to get its nose slashed, just like yours did. If I had my way, no one would ever sell another one.

Either throw that hidey out, or cut another hole in the back of it so no pig can get trapped.

Watch the cut carefully, and if you see any signs of infection (heat, swelling, redness, drainage, etc.) then see a vet.

Maisie&Hazel

Cavy Slave
Either throw that hidey out, or cut another hole in the back of it so no pig can get trapped.
I don't remember saying a had a one way hide in the cage? I don't know. Maisie (when she lived alone) had this blue barn house thing with one door. I haven't touched it since and the pigs had blankets draped over their cage and tunnels. That's it.

Thanks for the help.

Maisie&Hazel

Cavy Slave
I checked earlier this morning, and my 6month old pig named Hazel has a cut just underneath her nose, on the pink part leading to her mouth. It's a shallow cut, it isn't bleeding, but there is dried blood around it. I think it might be a strand of hay in her nose, but I'm not entirely sure.
I checked on her again this afternoon and now the right side of her pink part under her nose is slightly swollen.
Do you need pictures, and what should I do?
I'm not the best picture taker, and Hazel was squirming around, so this is the best I could do.

As you can see, the right side of her nose/pink/lip thing is swollen. This makes me nervous and thinking that it might be infected.
I also noticed that she has that black stuff in her nose. She seemes to breath fine though, and it's been about a month since we got her from the rescue (who gave her an all clear). I don't know what to do!

Attachments

20220728_193131.jpg 20220728_193122.jpg

Maisie&Hazel

Cavy Slave
I know this is a bit late, but....
Hazel is officially fine. Her lip isn't swollen, the cut is gone, and she looks normal. My only concern is how it happened. Hazel and her cagemate, Maisie, love each other (I think) so I don't know if Maisie hurt her.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could have been a complete accident. Hazel could have inadvertently startled Maisie, been itching herself and scratched. As long as you can see they aren't fighting, just keep an eye out.

Maisie&Hazel

Cavy Slave
I will. Thanks for all the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.