Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My guinea pig has LICE, help please!!

Perfectpigs

Cavy Slave
Hi I'm Katherine I have two pigs, Noah and Ty. I read a lot on this forum and I'm finally joining cause I need help. I noticed little white bugs crawling in Ty's hair and then checked Noah he has them too. I think it is from a New Guinea pig we tried to introduce them to about a week ago. They didn't get along so we didn't keep the pig but I think they got lice from him. Please help how do I treat this and I can't tell which type of lice it is. Do I have to throw out all my fleece and hideys? I really hope not:sad:

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
Hi,

It would help tremendously helpful for everyone on the forum if you could please get a picture of both of your piggies (i.e. the small white bugs, if at all possible) so that we can make sure we are telling you one thing when it maybe another.

Thanks!

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave

Perfectpigs

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the recommendation! I'm brand new on here could u tell me how to upload a picture of the lice?

Perfectpigs

Cavy Slave
Also I made an appointment to take hem to the vet on Wednesday. If I used that medicine how much should I use on each pig?

Perfectpigs

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much you have helped me out a lot. Do u know if I should get rid of my bedding and everything or if I should just wash them a few times? And my wooden bridge too. I will get the ivermectin and figure everything out. This can't be transferred to my cats rigt? Just making sure

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't need to get rid of the wooden bridge -- fungus is the only thing that requires throwing things out of the cage. I'd clean the cage thoroughly when giving the first treatment, and then at each subsequent treatment. Just wash the bedding once in hot water and dry it on hot.

And no, neither you nor the cats can get it. Lice are pretty species specific, and while you might get one on you, it won't set up housekeeping.

Perfectpigs

Cavy Slave
How many times do I have to apply it? I think I'm just going to keep them on newspaper and care fresh until the treatments are done to be absolutely sure. I'm glad I don't have to get rid of anything. Thank you

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Once a week for at least three weeks. That hits every life cycle of the lice.

Perfectpigs

Cavy Slave
My mom insisted on ping to the vet anyway. I told her we didn't have to but she wanted to make sure it was lice. We went this morning and the vet confirmed it was lice and recommended sevin dust to put a ping of it on the pigs backs and rub it in. On the bedding too. I looked it up on guinea lynx and everyone has said not to use it on guinea pigs but my mom doesn't care she says I have to use it or get rid of the pigs. She says the vet is right and to stop looking on websites. What should I do? I don't have a credit card so I can't order the ivermectin myself

Perfectpigs

Cavy Slave
She also thinks that the ivermectin is overkill because amazon uses the word "cattle". The vet said that ivermectin was overkill so now she won't use it at all she thinks that since he's a doctor he is always right. I think not because he recommended putting them on an exercise wheel or ball!! How does a vet not know that tht would damage their spines?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Because vets get very little education/training in the care of exotics, and what they do get covers everything from gerbils to giraffes.

I would NEVER put Sevin dust on a pig. It's one of the most toxic substances on the planet, and far less safe than ivermectin.

You need an exotic vet. It sounds like you've got a small animal vet, and that means dogs and cats, not pocket pets.

Suggest that your mom read the main articles at Guinea Lynx -- it's the premier medical site for guinea pigs on the internet, and many, many vets recommend it to their cavy owners. Or have her make an account here and identify herself as your mom. I'll be happy to correspond with her about it.

Perfectpigs

Cavy Slave
We want to an exotic vet, I can't believe he told us to use this. My mom brought the sevin home and used it on the pigs. What is going to happen to them? The warnings on the bottle are scaring me to death and my mom just doesn't care she thinks that the vet would never say anything that would hurt the pigs. I love her but she doesn't get anything about guinea pigs. The pigs seem fine right now she says she only used less than a pinch I'm so angry. They seem a bit better but I'm scared that they are going to consume it when cleaning themselves. Should I bathe them?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.