Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Found a pig I rehomed in a local pet store.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I was in my local pet store today ordering pellets for my guinea pigs. This store does sell some animals, but doesn't get them from big breeders or anything, mostly just pets people don't want anymore, or accidental litters, etc. I don't agree with them selling animals at all, but it is what it is. I noticed they had more guinea pigs than usual today, and I was playing with them. I lifted a pigloo, and to my shock I saw a pig named Bandit that I rehomed about 6 months ago. The lady at the store said a lady brought him in because she couldn't keep him anymore. Not only that, the female and babies in the other pen came with him.

I asked the person to please return him to me if she couldn't keep him and I just saw her about a month ago and she said he was doing great. I really don't want any person off the street to be able to buy him for snake food or whatever. If you guys were in my shoes, would you go buy him back from the pet store or look the other way?

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I would have to buy him back otherwise I would be worrying about what happened to him.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I understand your desire to not want your previous pig to be sold for snake food but remind yourself why you had to rehome him in the first place.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
He was a pig I was fostering for someone. She had nine of them so I offered to temporarily take two because that's all I had room for at the time.I ended up keeping his sister permanently and rehomed him. I might have kept him too, but he was alone because he didn't get along with my boys. He got beat up pretty bad by one of my boars, so once he was all healed, I found him a home with a person who said she had a male, and she said they got along well. I didn't give him up because I couldn't keep him, but because I wanted to be able to help other pigs and allow him to have a home of his own with a friend. I have the space and the resources to take him back, but I know I would probably need to find him another home eventually. I don't want him to be a solo pig forever.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I'm going to the pet store in the morning. If she's selling him for enough that I think a snake owner won't pay that much, I may leave him there. If not, he'll be coming back home with me. I don't really trust my judgment in finding a good home at the moment considering how this one turned out.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'd buy him back and if you can afford it have him neutered so he can live with your females.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I'd buy him back and if you can afford it have him neutered so he can live with your females.

I would love to neuter him, but my vet charges around $400.00 for a guinea pig neuter and I think that money would be better left in my emergency fund. And my vet is over an hour away and my car is not in great shape, so I hate to make unnecessary trips on it. It is a good idea though if I can make it work.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Wow, I thought Ferb's neuter was expensive at $300, and I live near DC!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Update: I had decided not to bring Bandit back home with me because he was being sold for $35.00, which I thought was good enough to ensure he'd be sold as a pet and not a feeder. I went today to see if he'd been sold. He was still there and had been thrown in a bin with multiple other males. He's quite wimpy, so I was concerned he was getting bullied. I picked him up and saw a bite on his upper lip. Then I saw the one behind his ear. Then I opened his mouth and his top incisors are missing. So I bought him for $10.00 since he's injured. I'm beating myself up because if I had just kept him in the first place none of this would have happened to him.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you took him back. I get really annoyed when pet stores take pigs, throw them together, and expect everything to go well. I hope everything goes well with you guys

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Poor Bandit, He's had a rough time. Don't beat yourself up, the main thing is you have him back now and you can give him all the love and care he needs to get back to full health. :love: Bandit :love:

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Poor little guy, I'm glad he's back with you for loving and proper care.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the support everyone. He still seems a little sad, but he's been through a lot. The good news is that he's eating and drinking on his own, even with no top teeth. I can already feel the teeth growing back, and I'll make sure the bottom incisors don't overgrow without the top ones to wear them down. If the do, we'll go to the vet for a tooth trim. And he's definitely getting neutered once he's fully recovered so he can stay here. He's only 14 months old, he's been through so much already.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
So happy to read you're determined to keep him for sure now :D. Things can only get better for Bandit now. Good luck to you both.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.