Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression My adult females DO NOT get along!

S3xy0ldBAG

Cavy Slave
Okay, so after Ginger passed away I got Bunny for Snickers, I only had her a week before noticing she was pregnant but prior to finding this out I had attempted a bunch of different introduction methods to get them to get along.
Nothing worked.
Both females are very dominant and their fights were terrifying to watch.
Well as soon as I found out Bunny was pregnant I stopped the introductions and just decided that they could get to know eachother through a divider in their cage.
Bunny gave birth to her 3 babies 5 days ago. The babies had gotten over to Snickers side several times before I found a good baby proof way to keep them out, but she enjoyed their company. She didn't seem aggressive towards bunny much anymore as well. When Bunny was pregnant they would occassionally rear up at one another but then would stop and go about eating.
So today I decided to attempt a very monitored introduction.
Since the babies kept Snickers calm I started with them in the cage and all looked great at first!
But soon both Snickers and Bunny poofed up and started chattering their teeth. I quickly collected the babies and put them in a kennel while I waited to see what would happen.
The two wound up fighting again but not quite as bad as before so I just made myself sit and watch knowing that they needed to establish their hierarchy.. but Bunny started climbing the grates begging for me to pick her up. So I did and felt so guilty when all she wanted to do was cuddle me for comfort :(

I'm terrible at this...

Snickers has been around a neutered male in the past and they got along just fine, but any females and she goes into psycho mode.

I'm wondering if I should just keep her separate from Bunny and the babies and just find her a neutered male, or keep my male babies and neuter them when they are old enough (which means 3 separate cages until then...) and just give up on ever having her share a cage with any other females?

I'm at a loss of what to do...

I've tried bathing them together, tried introductions in neutral territory, before I placed them in the same cage (divided) I cleaned it thoroughly, I've tried distractions with treats and loves etc.... nothing works!!!

What should I do??

I would like to have all my girls in the same cage, but I doubt that will ever happen :'(

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
You still need to introduce them on neutral territory, like a bathroom floor or something. I wouldn't take the babies out because Snickers has to be with all of them, not just the mom. Don't separate unless they are fighting and rolling in a ball of fur or draw blood. It will take several hours for them to be used enough to each other to be put in the same cage again.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Here's the thing - introductions have to be one & done. When you say, "I've tried a bunch of different introduction methods" it tells me that this was not the case. If you introduced them then separated at the first sign of a scuffle or even if you just meant that you tried it in multiple small doses instead of one big time, this is not going to be a successful introduction. Every time you introduce and separate, they have to start over in establishing dominance. So the multiple attempts is stressful to them.

Try again, in neutral territory. This means it doesn't smell like either pig. Let them do their thing, don't separate just because of teeth chattering or burring or mounting or chasing or even nipping. These are all normal dominance behaviors. Unless you have two pigs that just bond right away, proper introductions should take several hours, just make sure you are observing the whole time. Don't separate unless there is true bloodshed or a flying, rolling ball of fur.

Females tend to be easier to introduce than males so just take your time with it. You can't rush it. Different pigs tolerate each other at different speeds. While they are doing their thing in the neutral territory, do a total clean of the cage, all the bedding comes out, wipe down all surfaces to remove any pig scents.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd wait until the pups are weaned. The mom is likely to be more territorial until then.

And read https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html and follow the directions. Do it at a time when you've got plenty of time to supervise, and don't rush putting them in the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.