Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

When will she give birth?? She did!

saraheso31

Cavy Slave
Hi! Im new here! I have a female guinea pig named Penelope. I got her from a pet store around a month ago and turns out she was pregnant when I got her! When I got her she was 3 months old so she is around 4 to 5 months now. Her stomach is very noticeably big now and I have some questions. I am worried about her. I have grown to love her already. My hope is that since she is not an older piggie that she will be fine but I know of course complications can always happen. She is not my only guinea pig. I have two guinea pigs in a separate cage and I had them for a while before her. I just never had a pregnant guinea pig or a female before. My two others are males. They are in a c and c cage and Penelope is in a handmade cage. So for my questions. She has been noticeably pregnant now for a while and I have felt the babies kicking and see them kick without touching for around 3 weeks now. I have also heard teeth chattering from her belly for around 2 weeks now. I have done a lot of research and I am worried because i read that teeth chattering usually happens a week before and movement 2 to 3 weeks before. She sleeps a lot and will jump sometimes from the babies kicking her. She also eats and drinks A LOT! She acts very healthy and happy. I am just not sure when she will give birth. I thought it was soon because of the teeth chattering and movement but I guess I was wrong. I've been waiting so anxiously everyday to see if she has had them yet. I also read about the pelvis separation. When I lift her up i let her crawl into her bed and pick the bed up so I don't hurt the babies or her and I put my fingers underneath from behind but I really do not know what I am feeling. I've seen diagrams and read and read but I can't seem to find it or maybe I did and I don't think its the right place. I feel two separate openings. Like one opening on the right and one on the left so I do not know what I am feeling. Anyway please help me understand what is happening. Thanks!

Attachments

20151222_142242_resized.jpg 20151222_142239_resized.jpg 20151222_142238_resized.jpg

saraheso31

Cavy Slave
Re: When will she give birth??

Thank you but I've already read that a million times! haha I was just worried because it says about the teeth chattering being a week before delivery and it's been much longer than a week. She is also bigger now then when I took those pictures. She drinks a lot, eats a lot, and sleeps A LOT with her feet sprawled out too. She acts like a healthy piggie but I'm so confused as to the signs for when she will give birth. I'm not sure when she did get pregnant but I got her October 17th so sometime around then I am guessing. I also have no idea if i am feeling the right place for the pelvic separation! Here is a picture of her sleeping with her feet out lol

Attachments

penelope laying down.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

It also says that pups are like babies -- they come when they come, and not necessarily in time with the milestones. They can't read the memos about when they're supposed to do what. If you're still hearing/feeling/seeing signs of life in the abdomen, I wouldn't worry unless it looks like she's laboring and can't deliver.

saraheso31

Cavy Slave

Okay. Thank you. I worry so much! I'll be sure to call the vet if she is having trouble delivering.. If I am around during the time. I just hope it goes okay for her. Thanks again!

saraheso31

Cavy Slave

I can barely see the babies move now. Sometimes when I feel her sides i can feel something but just looking at her I don't see much. Could they be getting too big to move around so much? But when she is laying down I can hear teeth chattering still. Her poops have also become soft and dark. I don't know what this is about? She is still drinking and eating a lot and is active except for when she sleeps. I wake up everyday feeling like she is so close because she sometimes makes weird grunting noises and will make a movement of her body that looks like a contraction and maybe do that once and then nothing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

They do get too big to move much -- there's not a lot of room in there. Tooth chattering is a good sign. And she's obviously close to delivering. But keep an eye on her, and if the contractions come regularly and quickly and no pup appears, get her to an emergency vet ASAP. Occasionally a sow will have one large pup, either a singleton or in a litter of regular-sized pups, and the large one will block the birth canal.

Good luck, and let us know how she does!

saraheso31

Cavy Slave

Still no birth. She still sleeps a lot but right now is eating her hay happily :) I barely see the babies move now but when I do it shakes her whole body. I feel like its going to be one or two babies because her belly is not too big. I have been hearing the teeth chattering less but hear it once in a while. When I feel her sides I can't make out the babies moving but maybe I caught them at a bad time because when I look at her sometimes I can see the rippling of movement in her belly. I still do not know if I am feeling in the right place for the pelvic bones. I am not sure if it is above the genitals by the butt and if that's the case then it feels one finger separated but then its been like that for a while now without getting any wider or if it is bones on either side of her genitals. I feel what seems to be a tail bone between what I am feeling so I am not sure.

Sheree411

Cavy Slave

I just saw this thread today, is there an update?? I hope everything is going well

saraheso31

Cavy Slave

She still has not given birth. I was pretty sure that she was due sometime this week but now I am not sure. I do not think the babies have died inside her or anything since she is not acting sick in any way. She acts very healthy and happy. I still can hear teeth chattering but it is less than what I heard before and I can barely see the babies move now. I feel like her belly shrunk. Is that even possible? I was going to take her to the vet a week ago but decided against it since she is acting perfectly healthy but now I am thinking maybe a check up and an x ray would be good. I just hate to take her because it will be uncomfortable for her since she is far in the pregnancy. Her belly does feel very firm and she sleeps a lot. Sometimes she makes movements like she is getting ready to give birth but then nothing. I don't even know when she got pregnant but it seemed like she was close to her due date. I heard the teeth chattering for two weeks and the movement in her belly when I feel it and I can see it from the outside, has been for up to 4 weeks. I'm not really sure what to make out of it.

saraheso31

Cavy Slave

These are some pictures I just took of her. Her belly doesn't look that big to me but maybe she is just carrying 1 or 2 pups.

Attachments

preg 1.jpg preg2.jpg preg3.jpg

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave

Mine was around that big and she ended up having 4. They are pretty big for babies but they are still small. She'll probably give birth in the middle of the night and you won't notice until you see babies. A lot of pigs do that, but you might be able to watch it happening. Good luck!

Katie Vetter

Cavy Slave

Just found this post, how is your girl? Did you receive New Year pups?

saraheso31

Cavy Slave

No pups yet :/ she seems to be doing well though. She eats and drinks a lot so I know her appetite is good haha I am not sure why she has not given birth yet though.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave

I had a pregnant pig years ago. She was big enough that I thought she would deliver by Christmas. She ended up having her babies on January 22! The suspense drove me crazy.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave

No pups yet :/ she seems to be doing well though. She eats and drinks a lot so I know her appetite is good haha I am not sure why she has not given birth yet though.
Was she pregnant when you got her or after you got her? If before, hasn't it been longer than the normal pregnancy time?

saraheso31

Cavy Slave

Was she pregnant when you got her or after you got her? If before, hasn't it been longer than the normal pregnancy time?

I am pretty sure when we got her because she was housed with 3 males but I did not know the risks at the time. I do have two males but they are in a separate cage.

saraheso31

Cavy Slave

@Wleps_Piggies I do not have another female. She is the only female I have. I wish she had a female in with her but that is not possible at this time. I have two males who are together and then her. I was not expecting her to get pregnant. I was starting to think that maybe my male got to her if it is taking this long but I do not know when that would have happened. She really gave birth two weeks after the due date though? I actually think Penelope is bigger now then when i posted the pictures haha it is like she grew in one night!

saraheso31

Cavy Slave

She had the babies! I will post pictures later:D

Sheree411

Cavy Slave

Oh yay!!! Congratulations..can't wait to see pics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.