Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Did my GP faint?

Mtpur9ball

Cavy Gazer
Hi. So I have a boar named Licorice. He's about 3 yrs old. I was doing my normal checks on him and while I went to check his pouch I must of pushed a little and it was like he peed a large amount of white stuff. I got it off him (because he was on his back) but then he was lifeless in my hands. He wasn't moving and just laying with his mouth open. I panicked because I had just lost one of my other pigs the day before due to an ear infection. I put my hand on his chest area and gently shook him a little. When I just sat there, I felt his heartbeat. Then he kinda made a few gasping noises. I'm pacing back and forth wondering if anyone ever performed CPR on a gp before. I went into my room to grab my phone and I layed him on my bed. Within seconds he got up and started exploring like nothing ever happened. I checked this site and read about them expelling excessive calcium and bladder stones. The stuff I cleaned up solidified but did not get rock hard. So I'm guessing maybe it was built up or possibly there was a stone and when I pushed, it helped him expell all of it and he passed out from the pain/relief? Any ideas? I haven't noticed any issues with my boys except for the one who had the ear infection, so this came as a huge shock to me! And a scary one!

Hi. So I have a boar named Licorice. He's about 3 yrs old. I was doing my normal checks on him and while I went to check his pouch I must of pushed a little and it was like he peed a large amount of white stuff. I got it off him (because he was on his back) but then he was lifeless in my hands. He wasn't moving and just laying with his mouth open. I panicked because I had just lost one of my other pigs the day before due to an ear infection. I put my hand on his chest area and gently shook him a little. When I just sat there, I felt his heartbeat. Then he kinda made a few gasping noises. I'm pacing back and forth wondering if anyone ever performed CPR on a gp before. I went into my room to grab my phone and I layed him on my bed. Within seconds he got up and started exploring like nothing ever happened. I checked this site and read about them expelling excessive calcium and bladder stones. The stuff I cleaned up solidified but did not get rock hard. So I'm guessing maybe it was built up or possibly there was a stone and when I pushed, it helped him expell all of it and he passed out from the pain/relief? Any ideas? I haven't noticed any issues with my boys except for the one who had the ear infection, so this came as a huge shock to me! And a scary one!
Hi no he never did that. Scary stuff.

With many animals (prey animals especially), putting them on their back can trigger a vagal or fainting response. Theoretically, it happens because the brain/body is interpreting being forced onto the back as an attack by a predator, and the faint is a protective measure to both fool the predator and minimize blood loss from the attack. Be VERY careful when you need to flip a pig onto their back. Stress can kill.

I never knew that! But maybe I should clear something up. I try to do regular checks on my boys to make sure there is no impaction and there is no hay/bedding stuck in anywhere. So they are used to me putting them on their back. I don't just flip them over. I gently roll them over and prop them up on a pillow so they are supported and I can use both hands. They don't necessarily like it (but who would?) But I never thought I was scaring them. Thank you for letting me know that though so I know to be extra careful!

While not disputing @LittleSqueakers reply describing a vasovagal response, I just wanted to offer a different perspective.

I'm attaching a couple of pics of my dearly-departed Maya. I ask you.....does she look stressed??
I assure you that she slept in this position totally voluntarily. :sneaky: And, yes, I know that this is a rarity.

Attachments

Maya - Pre HC face - Copy S.jpg Piggy Nap.jpg
While not disputing @LittleSqueakers reply describing a vasovagal response, I just wanted to offer a different perspective.

I'm attaching a couple of pics of my dearly-departed Maya. I ask you.....does she look stressed??
I assure you that she slept in this position totally voluntarily. :sneaky: And, yes, I know that this is a rarity.
How adorable! If I had one like her I would constantly be running my fingers through her fur! Lol Thank you for sharing. I'm hoping I didnt stress Licorice out to the point he passed out. Like I said, they don't like it when I check them but who would like some person poking around down there? Lol And it happened immediately after he expelled the calcium build up so that was why I was thinking it was from either pain or relief.

How adorable! If I had one like her I would constantly be running my fingers through her fur! Lol Thank you for sharing. I'm hoping I didnt stress Licorice out to the point he passed out. Like I said, they don't like it when I check them but who would like some person poking around down there? Lol And it happened immediately after he expelled the calcium build up so that was why I was thinking it was from either pain or relief.
Yes, she was beautiful, but sadly "dumb as a stump". I guess I'm too accustomed to the Aby personality. I have always loved them for their intelligence, super curious and inquisitive, very vocal, and loving nature.

Maya was a purebred show piggy, but her pea eye disqualified her from being shown. With all that curly fur, it was difficult to keep her clean, so since she could no longer be shown, I cut her hair shorter and shorter. She was still her gorgeous self no matter what state her hair was in. She sadly caught pneumonia and crossed over the Rainbow Bridge before treatment could take effect.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I rarely have the opportunity to let other folks see Maya.
I have included a pic of my "cottontail rabbit", "pea eye", her summer haircut, and just one for fun........ whining?

Attachments

Maya - cottontail.jpg Maya's pea eye.jpg Maya - recent2.jpg Maya - whining.jpg
She looks like a sweetheart.

Can anyone help. Vet wants to prescribe benazacare for my piggie but the tablet dose from where she orders it are too big. Does anyone know where to get small dose mg tablets or oral and what would the dose be pls.

Sounds like the vet just needs a compounding pharmacy. Does the vet not have one they work with? I like Mixlab - altho expensive they did the meds for my heart failure pig. Idk anything about the med you’re asking about.

I have found that most compounding pharmacies will prepare animal meds if they have specific instructions from a vet.