Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? whats the difference from...

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
Whats the difference from a 2 month old abby and 2 month old peruvian (or any other long haired)?? and when do they start noticeably getting long hair

I have started to notice a lot of hair growth in Lilly lately, and now that shes letting me handle her a little easier now, popcorning, and doing her zoomies I have also noticed she has only 1 rosette on her forehead.... her body hair goes up into a mohawk. I thought (though i might be wrong) that abbys have rosettes on their body and from what i have noticed in pictures peruvians hair falls down from the spine area down.

im asking because if she ends up with long hair I would need to know how to care properly for all the hair. she has had some obvious hair growth in the past few weeks but its not really long yet. I will be cleaning her cage a little later and can take a picture if needed.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Picture would be helpful. If she is from a rescue/pet store you can't expect her to be a show quality Abby, so she might only have a rosette on her forehead and butt.

if she has long hair it just means that you will have to trim her up every once in a blue moon, and brush her daily. making sure she doesn't turn into a matted mess. If you aren't going to be able to brush her daily you can trim her hair short (1/2 inch or more) so that it doesn't drag, that could reduce brushing to as little as once a week (depends on how short)

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
yeah im gunna post one up in the next few hours (im not allowed to clean the cage last time my daughter yelled at me for doing it, because its her job lol! so i need to wait for her to get home from school)
to be honest i dont even think she has one on her butt (i could be wrong, i tend to gravitate towards her front end not so much the back end lol!) but even my husband has noticed the hair growth (and honestly our cat could lose her tail and he wouldnt notice that lol!) though it might just be a huge growth spurt thats making it look like more hair than it really is.

(picture will be up in about a hour)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
In my case, by the time my "abyssinian" was about 10 weeks old I could tell she was going to have some longer bits if hair. She's what I deem and abbyruvian. She looked like a regular abby when I picked her up at 4 weeks old but her fur on her rear kept growing. It grew pretty fast from a few months old to a year and I would have to trim her skirt regularly but after she hit the one year mark her fur growth slowed considerably. She's almost 2 now and I will give her a quick trim every couple of months just so she has no dragging fur. Here's a few pictures just so you can see, the only way to know for your pig is through time though!

Penelope at 7 weeks:

20140419_004348.jpg

Penelope 12 weeks:

20140605_124450.jpg

Penelope 6 months:

10007061_10204216583925732_9079767111932831964_n.jpg

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
well she has nowhere near that long of hair. the only hair that seems to be growing long at all on her is her mohawk down her back. hubby was using the ipad when we were cleaning the cage so i was only able to use my laptops cam and that has no zoom and its pretty fuzzy. but thanks to the pictures here i think i can cross off the peruvian. Lillys mother must have been one of the americans or abbys and not the peruvian in the heard (huge mixup because i dealt with the son who even had the babies sex backwards) glad they were wrong 1st guinea pig i dont think i would have been ready to deal with long hair lol thinking back lilly is about 2.5months old maybe a little closer to 3 months now. she must just be rosette-less :) love the mohawk though

WIN_20151203_172116.jpgWIN_20151203_172128.jpgWIN_20151203_172145.jpg

sorry the pictures are so bad the big laptop freaks her our so i dont like bringing it to close to her

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I think it's safe to say she's a regular abyssinian, she sure is cute! It's fairly normal to get some that only have a few oddly placed rosettes, it's just part of her charm.

For Penelope, her mom was a regular short haired guinea pig and then her 3 siblings were born with rosettes. I'm not sure, nor was her previous owner, what the dad looked like as the previous owner had rescued the pregnant mother and was rehoming 3 of the 4 pups. I would love to know what her dad looked like and how her siblings look now!

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I have what I believe to be an abyssinian/peruvian mixed breed that looks like your piggy. My pig has rosettes and lots of odd hair that is longer than the rest near her rump. Sometimes I have to trim her "butt hair" because the other two pigs will pull at it when it gets long lol
She's about one year old now but she looks like the picture of your Penelope at 6 months.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
I cant believe the difference from 12 weeks to 6 months though lol shes a beauty!

kemmm

Cavy Slave
Penelope looks so regal in her last picture. She def should be wearing a crown, and maybe have a scepter. :p
Beautiful girl!

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I cant believe the difference from 12 weeks to 6 months though lol shes a beauty!
Haha I know! When I first got my pig, she looked like a regular abyssinian. After a few months, she still looked abyssinian but with some hairs that were longer than the rest. I'm not sure how long her hair would actually get because I keep trimming it when it gets in her way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.