Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Saw blood in the bedding, worried pet owner..

newcavyowner20

Cavy Slave
I'm a new guinea pig owner, I just adopted 2 female guinea pigs from my local SPCA on November 15, 2015.

I left the house to go shopping and I come back home to see a water bottle fallen from it's holder and spots of blood on the bedding. My immediate assumption was that the bottle might have fallen on one of them. I tried to pick them up to see who was bleeding and what I could do it ease their discomfort and bring them to a vet asap, but they run away as soon as I try to pick them up even if I move slowly and carefully and let them smell my hand and listen to my voice first.

They don't seem to be bleeding anymore, but now because I scared them from my worry and me attempting to pick them up...I don't know how to get them to a vet to see what's wrong and why there was blood in the first place..

I'm a first time piggy owner and I'm really worried for them...but now they're deathly afraid of me..

Some advice on what to do would be great..

Thank you!

P.S. the bedding I'm using now is a mix of aspen shavings and carefresh (is it possible that they got a splinter from the aspen?)

First try not to panic. If they are both moving and no longer bleeding it may not be that bad. You can probably catch them in a box, just cut a door flap, close the door flap when they go in and lift the box out with them still in it.

If you have an old white t-shirt or white towel, place it flat in a section in their cage where they'll spend some time, like under a pigloo or hiding area. Another option is to line it in a laundry basket and put them in there with some veggies. You'll be able to get a good look at the color of their urine once they go in that spot.

I brought them to the vet and she was bleeding in her urine, the vet found 3 masses that might be tumors in the uterus or kidneys. I'm going back next week to get some blood work done. Thank you everyone!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.