Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Clipping Guinea Pig Nails

• Thread starter AwesomeCheechee
  • Start date

AwesomeCheechee

Cavy Gazer
There comes a time in every guinea pig's life when their nail are too long and need a trim. Here are some easy ways to clip your guinea pig's nails!

Ask a Vet

Bring your piggies to the vet the first time they need a nail clipping. Your vet can show you how to properly hold your piggie while clipping his/her nails, and how to make the process less stressful for the pigs.

How Much Should I Clip Off?

In each guinea pig's nail is a blood vessel called the quick. In white nails, the quick is easily distinguished due to its pink coloring. In black nails and darker colored nails, it's harder to see the quick. You should just cut off the tip of the nail anyway, but I recommend shining a light under the nail to be able to see how far down the quick goes. Make sure the light isn't shining in your guinea pig's eyes.

Method 1

This method is for guinea pigs that won't squirm around while their nails are being clipped.

Set your guinea pig down on a fleece on a table or in your lap. I recommend setting him/her on a table since the lighting will be better. Gently pick up and hold the paw in between your thumb and index finger. Clip off the tip of each nail. The quick might naturally recede, allowing you to cut more off.

Method 2

For squirmy guinea pigs.

Hold your guinea pig close to your body to prevent him/her from squirming a lot. Hold the paw gently in between your thumb and forefinger and clip the tip of the nail. The quick might naturally recede, allowing you to cut more off. When cutting back nails, lift up your guinea pig and support one back paw and both forepaws. Carefully clip the nails on the dangling foot. Most guinea pigs won't try to pull back that paw. Repeat for the other paw.

Thanks for the info! Very helpful!

I was LITERALLY just thinking about when i'd have to cut his nails. Thanks so much.

I wrote a thesis here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/109879-Alternatives

Generally, I'm a fan of lifting them to a light source for a few seconds, looking at where to trim, holding them up and clipping with human nail clippers. Probably not what everyone agrees on but it's the least traumatizing for them as it's very fast, less fuss and most accurate for me.

I just did nails for my piggies this week. I used a tiny bit of alcohol on a tissue to clean first. I also came armed with treats. We did good for the first time. All white toes made it easy.

My little guy HATED getting his nails trimmed... but he needed it pretty bad, his nails were catching on everything and i just gave him fleece bedding in his cage. but we got through it. Yeesh.

I go thru the process of clipping their nails if they need it or not once a week. Wednesday is nail clipping day. Just so they get used to being in that position and that nothing bad will happen. I have no idea if it is working. If it needs to be clipped I do clip it, if not I will bypass that nail. I try to clip at least something even if it a little tiny tip of the nail.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on a guinea pig that squeaks and squirms and sounds like I clipped the quick (even though I can clearly see I didnt touch). I had one of my girls go to see a vet for the first time, they showed me how to do it and how to hold hold them. I them did it ay home two weeks after, and every nail, she squeaks and sounds like I've clipped her and hurt her... But I haven't. Could she just be very nervous?
Thanks for the extra advice in advance :)

Hey spy9doc thanks so much for your reply. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue and that I am in fact not hurting her. :)

My Ferb screams like you're cutting his foot off when his nails are clipped. Feeding him one of his favorite veggies while his nails are being trimmed helps. He's distracted by the carrot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.