Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Can guinea pigs eat baby carrots?

jessicaquang

Cavy Slave
This probably sounds like a very idiotic question sorry but is there any difference at all between feeding your guinea pig baby carrots or just plain regular carrots? Does it matter which kind you feed them, because I heard that baby carrots are made by being soaked in chemicals and I'm not entirely sure if that's true or not

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Most of what are sold as baby carrots in grocery stores are not baby carrots at all. They're regular carrots that have been milled to look like baby carrots. About the only way you can be sure you're getting a baby carrot is if you buy them in bunches with the green part still on them.

That said, as far as I know, there's nothing about them that makes them unsuitable for guinea pigs. Mine have always eaten them.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
As long as the carrots are cleaned, baby or regular, they should be fine. As bpatters said, baby carrots are really just small or milled carrots :p
I give my piggies one each on a regular basis and they love them :) I also give them bell pepper (green), green and red leaf lettuce, and occasionally some tomato.

Elleybell

Cavy Gazer
my 4 mouth old pig loves carrots and I don't see why he can't eat baby ones.

mci1986

Cavy Slave
Yes they can, and mine love them.

One tip though: guinea pigs do not have the best eyesight. If they see a roughly carrot shaped object in front of them and they can smell carrot, they may chomp down on it even if said object is a finger. I found this out the hard way.

So be careful if you are hand feeding baby carrots.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.