Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage What is the best travel carrier to buy?

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Now that I have a second guinea pig, I need to buy another travel carrier. I currently only have one flimsy travel carrier that I bought from PetSmart.

Here's a link showing what I currently have (note: not that it's important, but the colors on this page don't match the carrier I have):
(broken link removed)

I have been looking into other carrier options and have seen that cat carriers or small dog carriers might be the best options because they are sturdier and will protect the pigs better in the event of a car accident, they are bigger than the carrier I have and will provide my pigs with more room to move around, they are easier to clean if pee gets onto the carrier, and the pigs are less likely to chew the carrier in a bad way than they are with the type of carrier I currently have.

Is this information accurate? Are cat and dog carriers better?

If so, where can I find one that is a good size, is safe and high quality, and is being sold at a good price?

Also, I'm not sure what size I should get. The carrier I currently have fits one pig at a time and works fine for short trips and for moving the pigs from their cage to their play pen or from their cage to my lap. I would get a carrier that was bigger and can fit two pigs since that seems to make sense and others are suggesting it, but my pigs are still new to each other and don't get along as well as I'd like (Cookie Dough is still too dominant). So it seems like it might make sense to get a carrier that will just hold one pig. Or, it might make sense to get a carrier that can hold two pigs, and that way they can share a carrier once they get along better.

Now that I have a second guinea pig, I need to buy another travel carrier. I currently only have one flimsy travel carrier that I bought from PetSmart.

Here's a link showing what I currently have (note: not that it's important, but the colors on this page don't match the carrier I have):
(broken link removed)

I have been looking into other carrier options and have seen that cat carriers or small dog carriers might be the best options because they are sturdier and will protect the pigs better in the event of a car accident, they are bigger than the carrier I have and will provide my pigs with more room to move around, they are easier to clean if pee gets onto the carrier, and the pigs are less likely to chew the carrier in a bad way than they are with the type of carrier I currently have.

Is this information accurate? Are cat and dog carriers better?

If so, where can I find one that is a good size, is safe and high quality, and is being sold at a good price?

Also, I'm not sure what size I should get. The carrier I currently have fits one pig at a time and works fine for short trips and for moving the pigs from their cage to their play pen or from their cage to my lap. I would get a carrier that was bigger and can fit two pigs since that seems to make sense and others are suggesting it, but my pigs are still new to each other and don't get along as well as I'd like (Cookie Dough is still too dominant). So it seems like it might make sense to get a carrier that will just hold one pig. Or, it might make sense to get a carrier that can hold two pigs, and that way they can share a carrier once they get along better.

If you're not in a hurry to get one, I'd suggest you start scouting the Goodwill Stores near you. The ones by me always have a lot of pet taxis and different types of solid, plastic carriers for dirt cheap. Look on craigslist, too. I wouldn't buy a new one since you can get used ones very cheaply. Just make sure you disinfect them before using them.

My first question is "what is the travel carrier for"? Is it all-purpose for every travel situation in the foreseeable future, or do you just need something specific for now? For what purpose/situation do you transport your cavies? Is it just to the Vet and back, or are they going on a three hour ride to grandma's house?

Will they be spending any amount of time in the carrier once you arrive at your destination? I have used all manner of items as a carrier including a milk crate, a plastic bin, and a small soft-sided carrier. If you aren't going to ship the cavies in the cargo hold of an airplane, then you don't necessarily need a hard-shell sturdy carrier.

Our car ride to the Vet is about 30-40 minutes and they really don't need anything except each other. When only one of them goes, then I put a favorite cozy in the carrier. I talk about my kids to my class and they are curious to meet Maya & Chester. I will load up the plastic bin with some litter and a couple of cozies. If they get tired of being in someone's lap, then they can come back to me and just chill in the bin. I will also pack a few veggies since we will be gone about 3-4 hours in total.

I think you probably see my point by now. Decide what the carrier's intended purpose is going to be, and then shop for a carrier. If you have any doubt about their ability to get along in close quarters, then buy two small carriers so that they each have their own. I often find inexpensive carriers at Ocean State Job Lot.

I am using the carrier for all travel purposes. I am in college, so I have to switch housing quite frequently (due to holiday breaks and due to moving at the end of the year and switching housing from home to school). I also will need to be able to bring my pigs to the vet if they need it. The carrier will be used, and will be necessary, often enough that I am justified in getting a better carrier.

Also, I think that getting a carrier is the right choice. I have carefully thought this situation through, and am looking at advice for a new carrier because I have decided that that is the right choice.

I would like to get a sturdy carrier in case I get into a car accident. My animals' safety comes before the comfort of my wallet (and since there are many cheap options out there, even if I get one my wallet won't be hurting that badly).

I also use carriers to bring my pigs from their cage into their playpen and from their cage onto my lap. This is an easy and stress-free solution for everyone involved. My pigs and I are much happier when I don't have to try to root around for them in their cage in order to pick them up.

Right now they don't get along super well so I will need to use two carriers.

I used a 2x1 c&c cage with fleece for transportation. My particular trip was long , 3 hours or so, but I will also use that for short trips too.

One thing I have to comment on, a hard shell or soft sided carrier will not make a difference in a car accident. In an accident the piggies will be thrown towards the side of the carrier itself because they themselves are not restrained. This flinging motion would be damaging, dependent on the speed of the cars involved. The hard sided case would help with some encroachment, but that benefit may be out weighed by the striking of the animal on the hard sided carrier. Since there aren't any (that I know of) approved regulated harnesses for Guinea pigs I wouldn't make that your main guiding force in picking a carrier.

I will say I transport my rabbit in a soft sided carrier that I love. Good size and construction. Has held up on many trips with her. It's this one: (broken link removed)

I could see using that for a lone Guinea pig.

How would you disinfect them?

If it's a completely plastic container with no fabric, I'd completely submerge it in a water filled tub with some bleach and let it soak. I'd rinse it very well and soak in clean water to remove any of the bleach residue. You never know if the animal that used it was sick. After that, I'd use soapy water or vinegar and water to clean it between uses and rinse well.

I have an xs Sherpa carrier for taking single pigs to the vet. I usually buckle the handle to the seatbelt to prevent it from sliding or tipping during transport, and I can see and talk to my pig as we go.
I wouldn't put multiple pigs in it though, because I'd be concerned about them fighting in the small space.

If it's a completely plastic container with no fabric, I'd completely submerge it in a water filled tub with some bleach and let it soak.

How much bleach would you use?

Where did you get the carrier and how much was it?
I happened to find one on clearance at Petco for about $18. They're usually $40 I think. They do new colors every year, then the old ones go on sale. You might check amazon too. It's a durable canvas carrier with a removable soft bottom. You could either use the plush liner it comes with, though I don't know if its easily washable, or remove it and line it with fleece.

I use a cat carrier which I found online at Walmart.ca for other Canadians. It was $30.00 and it is a decent size. All 3 girls can have room to move, room for a handful of hay and a towel inside for short trips. For 1 guinea pig it's really roomy and I like to put towels in there so they don't slide around awkwardly in the car. The cat carrier I am using has 3 options for openings. 2 openings/zipped flaps on the side similar to the Petsmart one, and a top opening which I find easiest to use. I only used the side openings when I introduced the carrier to them the day before being transported to the vet and they got used to the smell and liked poking in and out in their pen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.