Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Eye Injury

rcbuzz3

Cavy Slave
Eye InjuryEye InjuryEye InjuryI rescued a female guinea pig about a week and a half ago from a local animal shelter, but it didn't take me long to realize that they were not taking proper care of her. She was being keep in a cage with clear plastic sides that was not well ventilated, with cedar bedding that smelled like it hadn't been changed in a while. Her nails were way too long and I didn't see any hay in the cage, just pellets and a water bottle. She also had a white cloudy looking thing in her eye, that I assumed to be an injury. I took her to a vet to see if her eye had just been injured, or if there was a bigger problem, but the vet just told me that I shouldn't worry about it, and didn't prescribe any eye drops or ointments. I want to trust the vet, but I'm still very nervous that her eye is going to get worse and worse without treatment, and that she might lose her sight. Is there anything I can do for her eye at home, to help the swelling go down and the cloudy thing to go away? Or should I try my luck with another vet? I don't want to cause her any more pain. Help would be much appreciated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd see another vet. Find a good exotic vet if you can, but eyes are the one thing that dog and cat vets can sometimes manage to treat adequately in guinea pigs.

She could have had a hay poke, and may need antibiotic drops. Or she could have a cataract, or one of two disease that cause a bony growth around the eye. It doesn't look like that to me, but it's not a very close-up picture.

rcbuzz3

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much. One more thing, do you think that flushing the eye with a saline solution could be beneficial at this point, or should I definitely try to get the antibiotic drops?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The saline solution won't hurt, and might help. But I do think you need a vet visit. Eye problems can be pretty painful, especially injuries.

nmhofherr

Cavy Slave
i just went though this with my piggie def another vet mine almost lost his eye because of an infection but we got lucky

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
i just went though this with my piggie def another vet mine almost lost his eye because of an infection but we got lucky

Make sure that they are notcaged together as they could spread infections back and forth.

nmhofherr

Cavy Slave
they were separated for like a month until i got the ok to put them back together

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Make sure that they are notcaged together as they could spread infections back and forth.

Most pigs will have been thoroughly exposed to whatever another pig has by the time you can get it diagnosed. I tend to recommend separating only when there's a severe fungal outbreak, or if one pig is injured or needs to be confined for some reason.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.