Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions I Can Finally Get A Second Guinea Pig!

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
So today my Dad walks into the room to pet my piggie and play with her and he goes "She is playing with my hand like another guinea pig." So I go "Yeah because she wants to play with another guinea pig." and he looks at me and goes "You have money right? Go get another one." He keeps saying he won't build another cage if they don't get along or he won't take me 2 hours away to adopt so it has to be a pet store. That's my dilemma. I really want to adopt but no one will take me far enough to get to a good guinea pig rescue. Is it bad to get a guinea pig from a pet store if it's your last option?

Also, how do you make sure they don't fight? My girl has been alone for a long time so would it be best to get a younger guinea pig so they aren't trying to be dominant as well? Does that work? I've never done piggie introductions.

MY CAGE : A wooden cage exactly 4 feet x 4 feet with 5 grid windows. I have 2 hidies (one pigloo and one wicker hut), 1 rainbow bridge (i use it as a tunnel), a fleece forest (removable), and I could buy extra food bowls and water bottles.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look at Craigslist and Kijiji for guinea pigs. Also see if there are animal shelters in your area.

Look on www.petfinder.com. Choose "small and furry" for the type, then enter "guinea pig" as the breed. If one comes up anywhere in your area, then contact them. Most rescues are just a group of people who provide foster homes, and they can be spread out all over the place. Even if the rescue address is far from you, there may be a foster home much closer and they'd arrange the adoption from there.

You don't need to rush out and buy a pig. If there are pet stores in the area, there are pigs that need to be rescued. Some pet stores will even adopt out pigs that are abandoned at their stores.

Age doesn't matter about their getting along. Personality does. One of the big advantages of adopting from a reputable rescue is that they would let you bring in your pig and do a "meet-and-greet" to see if they get along. That's not a 100% guarantee that they will, even if they do ok on first meeting, but it's pretty reliable.

When you get ready to introduce them, study https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html first. It's the best article on introductions I've found.

When you put them in the cage, take the pigloo out. You don't want any hidey that has only one entrance. You'd need another water bottle and another pellet dish, but you can spread the hay and veggies out in different piles.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Sounds like your cage size is good.as for the age of a new piggie usually with the sows it shouldn't make a difference. there's links on here and under guinea lynx .com about introductions for piggies . it explains about a neutral place and cleaning cage real good so no scents from original pig etc.maybe you can contact a rescue and see if they can bring piggie to you or meet half way.if you have to go pet store rout make sure it's sexed properly don't rely on them just telling you and you might need to do quarantine also.good luck .

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
Look at Craigslist and Kijiji for guinea pigs. Also see if there are animal shelters in your area.

Look on www.petfinder.com. Choose "small and furry" for the type, then enter "guinea pig" as the breed. If one comes up anywhere in your area, then contact them. Most rescues are just a group of people who provide foster homes, and they can be spread out all over the place. Even if the rescue address is far from you, there may be a foster home much closer and they'd arrange the adoption from there.

You don't need to rush out and buy a pig. If there are pet stores in the area, there are pigs that need to be rescued. Some pet stores will even adopt out pigs that are abandoned at their stores.

When you put them in the cage, take the pigloo out. You don't want any hidey that has only one entrance. You'd need another water bottle and another pellet dish, but you can spread the hay and veggies out in different piles.

Thanks for this :) I'll definitely be watching craigslist. It's harder though because although my Dad understands that piggies in petstores are worse (we had mites on my piggie) my aunt doesn't. And my aunt is the one taking me. I think my cousin would help me through craigslist though since she got 2/3 of her dogs from craigslist.

All of my hideys have 2 holes. I cut holes into the pigloo but I'm gonna need to get rid of the wickerhut which is my piggies fav. I can make sure I buy more food bowls and hideys.

*EDIT* I have no shelters in my area. I was checking like a month ago and the closest one is like you mentioned, one with foster homes everywhere.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where are you? City/state, not your address. We might be able to help you find a pig.

Also check www.guineapigzone.com and see if there are any for adoption in your area.

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The user pinky is close to you. PM her and see what she knows about rescues and shelters in the area.

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks for the help :)

sabrinaxceleste

Cavy Slave
I'm also about 40 mins south of Chicago as well, but towards the IN border. I adopted from Critter Corral (who I believe, if memory recalls, pinky is associated with?) and they were a half hour out, tops. Critter Corral is in Steger. Since pigs are fostered in homes, the pigs aren't just located in Steger though. I recall adopting from a woman near Orland Park. This rescue might possibly be the one you're referring to?
My only concern is that I'm not sure I ever recall seeing them adopt out single pigs... although if you asked them, they may help you out there. Often the pigs are already in bonded pairs, or even trios - that's how I wound up with three pigs when I was only looking for two.
It seems they have quite a few available pigs in Plainfield and Tinley Park at the moment though, as per their Petfinder.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes...I have adopted through Critter Corral as well. They are a series of foster homes. One location in Steger but also one in Crete. Some in Indiana. Since it is a foster system, you have a good chance of finding one that is close to you. And many times, if you talk to them, you can find someone who is willing to bring the pig to you.

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
I'm also about 40 mins south of Chicago as well, but towards the IN border. I adopted from Critter Corral (who I believe, if memory recalls, pinky is associated with?) and they were a half hour out, tops. Critter Corral is in Steger. Since pigs are fostered in homes, the pigs aren't just located in Steger though. I recall adopting from a woman near Orland Park. This rescue might possibly be the one you're referring to?
My only concern is that I'm not sure I ever recall seeing them adopt out single pigs... although if you asked them, they may help you out there. Often the pigs are already in bonded pairs, or even trios - that's how I wound up with three pigs when I was only looking for two.
It seems they have quite a few available pigs in Plainfield and Tinley Park at the moment though, as per their Petfinder.

Thanks I'll check it out. I will have to get my Dad to contact them since I'm too young to do it myself! If it's in Tinley or Orland I could definitely do that. Those towns are really nearby.

Nilda

Cavy Slave
Critter Corral does adopt out single pigs. And right now they have about 80 available pigs.

sabrinaxceleste

Cavy Slave
Critter Corral does adopt out single pigs. And right now they have about 80 available pigs.
Good to know! It's just that in all their petfinder ads, I always see them list the pigs separate, but then mention they have a buddy, or in my case, two buddies. I fell in love with 2 but they didn't want to adopt them out without the third. lol So I wasn't sure.

Nilda

Cavy Slave
Good to know! It's just that in all their petfinder ads, I always see them list the pigs separate, but then mention they have a buddy, or in my case, two buddies. I fell in love with 2 but they didn't want to adopt them out without the third. lol So I wasn't sure.

Nilda

Cavy Slave
Critter Corral Guinea Pig Rescue currently has over 100 pigs available for adoption. They have many single pigs and established pairs that are waiting for homes! They will not break up an established pair. All of the pigs available can be viewed on their website.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.