Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Is She Pregnant?

pignamedkitty

Cavy Slave
Last Wednesday I got my guinea pig, Kitty. She was born at the end of December. The lady that had her had kept Kitty in a cage with her brother since she was old enough to be taken away from her mom.

Kitty has a really hard belly and I think it's a bit big..? Kitty's a long hair, her hair puffs out right around her belly in a natural tutu so I can't tell if it's big out, but it seems like it is. Also in the last few days her nipples have been sticking out and all the hair around them has thinned so there's a circle around them.

I weighed her on Thursday, she weighed 1 pound 1/4 oz. Then I weighed her Friday and she was 1 pound 1 oz. She eats a lot of hay and pellets. I don't want to take away some of the pellets because I had one of my friends visit who has had guinea pigs for years. She said Kitty was to small for how old she is.

Kitty gets veggies everyday and she eats all of them. She also sleeps a lot even during floor time. I have her sleeping area on the opposite side of her cage so she has to walk across the cage to get to the food in water so she's forced to get some exercise.

Can anyone tell if she's pregnant or not?

Don't take away the pellets, guinea pigs should always have unlimited hay and pellets.
I'm not an expert with pregnancy, but I have a few questions:
Can you see the pups moving?
Do you know how long she's been with her brother?
Could you post a picture to show us just how big she is?

No I cant see the pups moving. I'm guessing if she is pregnant it is the beginning of the pregnancy.

The lady said since she was old enough to be weaned from there mom. She moved the mom back with the dad and put Kitty and her brother in the same cage. She was with him tell I got her last Wednesday.
I'll go try to get a picture right now.

@piggsters, please be more careful with your recommendations. Many people read these forums, and it is important that they be given correct information. You said:

Don't take away the pellets, guinea pigs should always have unlimited hay and pellets.

Guinea pigs should NOT always have unlimited pellets. A normal adult guinea pig needs only 1/8 cup of timothy pellets per day. Younger pups, and pregnant or nursing sows need unlimited pellets and an extra calcium source. That source can be alfalfa pellets, OR it can be some alfalfa hay added to their grass hay, OR it can be calcium-rich veggies.

A slight correction from the post above: Baby guinea pigs can have unlimited pellets, but adults should only have 1/8 cup of pellets a day. I'm sure that's what you meant piggsters, considering (it seems) we're talking about a baby here, but I just wanted to clarify for anyone who comes and reads this and takes it the wrong way.
(ETA: bpatters already beat me to that correction!)

It sounds like you bought Kitty from a very irresponsible breeder :/ If the brother was with your girl after he turned 3 weeks old, she very possibly can be pregnant.

When you take a picture, get a bird's eye view of her, just sitting normally on all fours. Take it like you're taking a picture of her back. That's the best angle to see 'pup pouches'. Don't pick her up or anything.

Please tell the woman to separate her pigs!! A guinea pig can get pregnant soon after giving birth and can cause great suffering for the momma pig. It is highly recommended not to breed pigs.
Do you know how old they were when put in the same cage?

As you can see in pictures her hair goes out in a natural tutu.

Is She Pregnant?Is She Pregnant?

Hope that helps figure it out!

@AmberCalzone yes, I assumed that since she got her soon after being weaned she was still a baby, sorry for the confusion.

piggsters:
I did inform the lady to separate them. I'm guessing since they where able to be weaned she had them in the same cage. I'm very upset she left them together because Kitty is 4 months old and I don't want her going threw labor. I don't believe in breeding any animal for money:)

I got Kitty when she was 4 months old (she is 4 months now). Last Wednesday.

Update on Kitty the guinea pig: Turns out that she was not pregnant but was just gaining weight, getting bigger because she was not taken care of right as a baby and I guess had some catching up to do.(that's what the local vet said).

Anyway, I'm very VERY happy she is not pregnant! I would not want her having to give birth at such a young age(or ever).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.