Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Considering re-homing my two boys. Advice?

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
It kills me to even have to say this, but I am thinking about rehoming my two lovely boys. I've been able to care for them just fine but do to my new living conditions (in August) I'm afraid I won't be able to take care of them anymore. I have a couple options and wanted to share them here on the form. Advice is welcome.

Option 1: My two boys do have the option of being kept back home with my family; though my mother is not too keen on the idea. However, she does understand the circumstances. I adopted a female guinea pig "Honey" not too long ago and to my surprise she was pregnant!! Honey ended up having two beautiful boys, however I didn't have to room to keep both Honey and her boys. So my mother kept Honey (which worked out well because my sisters guinea pig peaches needed a cage mate) and I took the two boys. I don't feel comfortable placing them on my mother, she has a household to run and already takes care of my baby girl Honey (+ peaches, two dogs, a cat, and a bearded dragon). Not only would homing the boys with my mother put more work on her but also there's the fact she doesn't have the time to take care of the pigs (properly). For selfish reasons I like this option the most...... but for my little piggies well beings I fear option two is best.

Option 2: Rehoming. I'm still letting this one sink in because it makes me sick. I know Honeys pregnancy wasn't expected, but I fell in love with her two boys and the thought of rehoming them brings me to tears. I do believe this is the best option for my pigs though.... I am not sure if this will be my final decision (still hoping for some miracle that I can keep them and they still be well cared for) but I would like some advice on rehoming.
  • Rehoming Fee?
    • I don't want to price them outrageously but I don't want them so cheap that snake owners may snag them up for food.
  • Extras?
    • I have a C&C cage, fleece, pigaloos, toys, fleece bed, bowls, hayrack, water-bottles ETC. How should I go about pricing all of these items as well?
  • Finding a Good Home?
    • This is MY BIGGEST CONCERN!! I am so scared of rehoming them to someone who wouldn't take good care of them. I know I have control over who adopts my babies, but even the nicest person can unintentionally be a bad owner. How can I make sure that my babies are going to a good home?
Other Info:
They are bonded brothers so if I do choose to rehome them they will be together. No exceptions.

Sorry if this post is too long or detailed....I just found out today that I may have rehome my boys and I'm a nervous reck. I just want to do whats best for them. Advice and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Why won't you be able to take care of them?

CassiesCavy

Cavy Slave
I also think option two seems like the best thing you could possibly do for your little piggies in this situation. I know it is kind of sad to think about, but if you know they are in a good home everything will be just fine. If you decide to rehome them make sure to ask lots and lots of questions about the person or families life style. (How long they are home for, any other pets, and excedra) If the family has young children, show them how to properly hold the guinea pigs. Good luck with the re homing. Best of wishes to you and your little boys.

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
@pinky My boyfriend and I are having to move into a new (cheaper) apartment (due to financial reasons) and the landlords are not ok with us having guinea pigs. It's a violation of the lease agreement and can result in termination (being kicked out). I really want to sneak my piggies in and take care of them. However I am scared that if I got caught I could possibly loose our apartment.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Does your lease specifically state "guinea pigs" or does it say "pets?" A lot of landlords will allow pets that are caged but won't allow animals that are loose, like dogs and cats. I'd inquire to see if you might be able to have them there. I'd keep them at your mom's if you can't take them. It sounds like she likes them and it would be the least disruptive thing for the guinea pigs. Your situation might change in a year and you could end up being able to take them back again.

Fay

Cavy Slave
That's odd, most landlords are fine with caged animals. Did you actually ask about caged pets? You could claim they're hamsters instead, people often can't tell the difference and hamsters sound less intrusive.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, it's the hardest decision to make. I've been there. But you have to do what is best for your pigs and not yourself. That's the final good thing you can do for them. So I'd go for option 2.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Haha, you beat me to it about the caged animals bit @pinky :eek:

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
@pinky No, unfortunately the landlady made it very clear they do not allow pets of any kind. Including guinea pigs. I do want to keep my babies, so the option of being able to have them back when the lease runs out would be absolutely wonderful. I suppose I should talk it over with my mother some more and make sure she would be OK with that arrangement. Thank you for the suggestion and also the quick reply.

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
If you do decide to re-home them, I'd look up local GP rescues in your area...even if it's an hour or so away. See if they'd be willing to list your pigs for you and help you find them homes. This way you can be sure to find a GOOD home for them, and not end up like snake food like you said. I know this must be so hard on you :( I hope everything works out in the end!

Mary Hallock

Cavy Slave
Which state are you in if I may ask? My girl was bought preggers too! She had THREE boys! One died unfortunately after a month after being born. I just couldn't get rid of them. I even searched for a female cage mate for mommy and brought her home from Petsmart. Took Kokomo there to pick out her new friend. I had to build a second cc cage! But rehoming sounds to be the best. Not sure on a price, depends on what your state prices are (min wage etc). Some pet stores will give you store credit for pets too. I had to do that 10 years ago with my long haired gp. I know Facebook has a Buy, Sell, Trade groups for the surrounding areas..example... Andalusia, AL Buy, Sell, Trade...which I'm apart of. Good luck hun!

Elli91

Cavy Slave
If you decide to rehome, Offer everything together, Also ask a local rescue for the adoption application they have and ask any potential adopters to fill it out.

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
Update: I am happy to say one of my very good friends is willing to foster my babies until this new lease is up!! Plus, she lives in town so I am still able to come by and take care of my piggies. I am so glad I don't have to give them up!! Thank you everyone for the advice and suggestions. I was so stressed about this but I'm glad everything worked out. Thank you all!!

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Yay! What wonderful news!! Congrats! Now you've got a goal set...something to work towards...finding a new living situation that will allow you to have your boys once your lease is up! Woohoo!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.