Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Whats the best absorbent layer to use in a cage liner??

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
I'm interested in making some cage liners for my 3x3 cage, but i dont know what a good absorbent layer would be to use in between the fleece layers. Ive read on here that the Uhaul pads are very popular, but where i am it costs way to much to ship and there are no stores near me that sell them (only rent). Right now i use a fleece blanket with disposable puppy pads underneath but its be nice to have one thing that just needs to be picked up and thrown in the wash instead of buying puppy pads all the time. Whats another option that i could use as an absorbent layer? are other moving blankets just as absorbent? i also looked into the mattress pads, but the 100% cotton ones get kind of pricy. Can i use not cotton ones? or should i go with towels? Really need some advice!:confused: (would this work? i have no idea...(broken link removed))

You can use 100% cotton mattress pads but don't use polyster or a polyester blend. Another option is cotton batting. I wouldn't sew towels into fleece pads because they're too dense and won't dry well. I tested some and took them apart after washing and drying them in my dryer. Although they felt dry on the outside, they were still pretty damp when I took them apart. The other option are lighter weight and dry better.

I use on layer of towels in between the fleece for my pee pads and lap pads = fleece-towel-fleece. Towels are dirt cheap from dollar stores, wal-mat, etc. You need to wash them first because they will shrink. I run them in the dryer for 10-15 minutes and then let them sit on a drying rack or hang them up over night. They last about 2 days in the cage before they get too stinky, but I have about a dozen of them, so no worries.

I use washable puppy pads. My 2x5 C&C cage takes three of the standard size. They usually last about two days. It's nice having 3 instead of one big blanket because if one part of the cage gets really wet, I can replace just that pad. I've been pretty happy with these, although, The next load I wash after the blankets, smells like a barn yard. We usually just wash a load of towels right after the pig blankets because we would rather the towels smell like pig than our clothes. In fact if anyone has any advice for controlling the odor in the wash the would love the hear it.

Vinegar works good for me. I wash the fleece first and then do a load of towels, each with a cup or two of vinegar in a large load of water.
I wash the towels after the fleece and the towels seem to pick up any hair or hay left in the machine from the fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.