Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is my piggie pregnant?

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
@PeanutnCookie Thank you! I'm not so much excited as I am anxious, I just hope everything goes over well. Unfortunately, Honey is currently housing with my mother and sister since I am out of town until this coming Friday. They are of course taking care of her wonderfully and have been keeping me updated on her. While I've mentioned to them if they could check her pelvic area they both don't seem comfortable doing it. The babies will come when they decide to so I'm not forcing them to check but if she doesn't have the babies by this upcoming Friday evening I'll check as soon as I return home (as I am very curious). @bpatters thank you for the link! Good visual representation.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
She's a very pretty pig, and if you've felt movement then you've likely got babies. However sometimes abdominal movements may feel like babies, as I was told by @bpatters a while back. I've just recently had two sows give birth so if you have any questions feel free to ask! :)

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
@GuineasGalore Thank you. At first I did suspect abdominal movements but was a bit suspicious since she wasn't in any apparent pain. Plus she was acting completely normal and healthy. Regular bowel movements, eating, and drinking and no painful sequels. There's no doubt in my mind she is pregnant at this point though. !! Congrats on your recent births. Hope all the piggies are doing well. I'm curious of any information you have to offer or just simply how the pregnancy played out for your piggies. I've researched a lot but I still appreciate any advice/stories from those who have experienced it first hand. Thank you!

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
Baby Alert!!! Honey has given birth to two lovely babies. Unfortunately I won't be home until tomorrow, but my sisters says they seem well and active. Babies are wheaking and popcorning away <3 and mama seems fine. When I get back I plan on sexing them to see if she had little girls or boys. Also want to check them over (weight and everything) to make sure they are alright). Will update with more pictures as soon as I get more! Thank you all who replied to the forum, you helped me out tremendously and even though there's still much to be done I really appreciate all the helpful advice and support I received. Thank you all!
Is my piggie pregnant?
Little brown one is the runt <3 Will update picts. ASAP. :love:

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness those pups are absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on the little ones!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
They are adorable, congratulations to you and Honey!

Ankitpiggiefan

Cavy Slave
Congrats! Babies are beautiful! I bet Honey is an excellent mother!

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
YAY!! SO CUTE!! I love little baby pigs! I miss when my girls were babys! Good luck!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
They are ADORABLE! They both have colors and patterns from the mom. Try to weigh them every day for the first couple of weeks to make sure they are growing well.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
They are so cute!! Me wants a baby piggy so bad!!

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
Update: The little piggies are so cute. I attempted to sex them but they are so small its hard for me to say accurately, so I'm going to wait a week and then try again. Both babies seem to be doing well, and mama too. Black piggie is out going and not very shy, but our little brown runt follows close behind everywhere mama goes, and will cry out when he/she feels she has lost mom. <3 We have to take out the little black piggie so the runt can nurse. She seems a bit more frail than the other piggie so we are keeping a close eye on the little sweet. Overall they seem happy and healthy. Still keeping an close eye on them.

Is my piggie pregnant?Is my piggie pregnant?Is my piggie pregnant?

Last edited:

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
Baby Video Footage:
[video=vimeo;114406089]https://vimeo.com/114406089[/video]
[In reference to previous update: Both babies are still housed with mom, we just take the black one out from time to time to give the runt the opportunity to nurse. Also you may notice Peaches (our other lovely lady) is separated in the video. We were trying to give the babies and mama some privacy. Don't worry Peaches got her floor time too. Popcorning fluffball <3]

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
They are too, too adorable!!
When my pig had pups we had to take the bigger babies out as well, to allow the runt to feed. After just a day or so of doing that, the baby must have realized how good mom's food tasted, because she then "fought" her way to a nipple instead of letting the others dominate her lol.

I'm curious on one bit. You said you've separated Peaches? I'm just curious if you know that other female pigs do not have to be separated from mom/babies? They make great aunts/nannies and will help mom raise the little ones.

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
@AmberCalzone Yeah I had read a lot that other female guinea pigs make great nannies. However, prior to finding out Honey was pregnant we tried introducing the girls after Honey's quarantine (since Honey was new). I read that good pairs include a young female pig and an older female pig (as the older pig usually asserts dominance). However, Honey is a bit of a rebellious cavy. They got along at first but things escalated quickly and Peaches launched onto Honey and they formed an " attached Furrball". No blood was drawn but a little tussle of Honey's fur was pulled out by Peaches. They were separated after this to cool down. They were re-introduced later (as it takes a bit for dominance roles to set in) however, Peaches again launched onto Honey (formed an "attached Furrball") and so they were separated again. No blood or injury but soon after this second introduction is when I found out Honey was pregnant, and in fear of putting her under stress stopped with trying to get them to work it out. Bad timing, had I known she was pregnant I would've waited till her babies were born to begin the introductions process. I'd like to try introduction again as Peaches need's a cage-mate but I am afraid if she exhibits this aggressive behavior towards Honey she will also act this way towards the babies. They can still verbally interact with one another, but I'm not sure about allowing physical contact at the moment.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The babies are adorable! The little brown baby IS MINE! LOL

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx I'm coming with you, pignapping road trip from MD to VA!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Its precious! Even my grandson was going awe last night. I love babies of all types! And old people, that is how I killed my back as a CNA doing home care. I already looked it up, its give or take 150 miles. Not much at all.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Gimme the piggies, NOW! They are the last word in cuteness, and so is Mama!

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What gorgeous babies! (Mum too!) Congrats!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.