Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Tips? I have a new piggie.

Acethepiggy

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have a new guinea pig, Ace. I got him from Jack's pets. I Feel bad, I got him a tiny starter kit. (broken link removed). I have the link. I also have a food dish that is super easy to climb in (For Ace, of course). I also have a Pink Pigloo in there, With a wood- kabob. I have a basic sized water bottle. I use Pine wood shavings, From Pet supplies plus. It is a pretty big bag. I give Ace unlimited Kaytee Timothy Hay which has lasted me awhile now. I feed him red/green bell pepper daily. I hand feed It to him and he eats it out of my hand. I pet him on a old towel every day. I so far don't do floor time, because I am not really wanting guinea pig poop and pee on my floor. I am thinking about finding something like a kiddie pool to let him in for a hour. So any tips?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That pet cage is way too small, even for one pig. I'd clean it up and take it back to them and get my money back. Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is always better -- more room for the pig, easier to keep clean, less smelly.

Also, he needs a buddy. Guinea pigs aren't designed to live alone. They're herd animals, and are MUCH happier with a friend of their own kind.

Are the pine shavings kiln dried? If they have any pine odor to them, pitch them out and get something else. The phenols in pine can cause bumblefoot. and eventually, liver and lung damage.

Welcome to the forum. We'd love to see a picture of Ace.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Yes, I agree with @bpatters. Especially about him needing a bigger home and a buddy. And if you get another pig, ADOPT, don't shop!:)

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
Another idea for floor time is putting down a waterproof tablecloth, then fleece. The tablecloth protects the floor, and the fleece is easy to roll up, then shake it clean outside.

Acethepiggy

Cavy Slave
I plan on getting a C&C cage when I get enough money. How much are the C&C cages? I might try to get another pig soon if I Get enough money. Are there any other things I can use instead of fleece, or paper bedding? I tried using paper, but it stank bad and it looked worse.

Acethepiggy

Cavy Slave
KINDLE_CAMERA_1414773923000.jpgThis is Ace. He is in his igloo.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
C&C cages are very inexpensive. You can buy Coroplast from a local sign shop, and grids can be purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond. And as for a bud for Ace, you can adopt a pig for as low as $3!:)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum, Ace is a cutie!

purpletulip4u

Cavy Slave
He is beautiful! I made the same mistake with the cage and only getting one piggy. I sent my husband to get another buddy the same day. Since we had to wait for a couple days for the new larger cage to come in, we cut the box that the old cage came in and taped it really good and used it for floor time. (we didn't want them to end up somewhere in the furniture and get stuck) We made sure they had plenty of time on the floor for exercise. I use fleese for the bedding. It is super easy. I just cut up a bunch of extra blankets we had. They are easy to wash too! It does take so work, but so worth it!

Acethepiggy

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I might do a C&C cage hopefully soon. I might get a friend for Ace hopefully when I tame him. I just am scared he might get in fights or somthing. And I may try finding a breeder. How big would it be to have two pigs in a C&C cage? Because I don't want it bigger then my coffee table, if I have it on the floor, I'm afraid my lab, Sandie, would attack the cage or somthing. lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please do not find a breeder for your pig. If you'll post the name of the city closest to you, we'll help you find a rescue.

I think it will be easier to tame Ace if he has a buddy than if he doesn't. They take comfort in each other, and one learns from the other.

From my post, above:

Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is always better -- more room for the pig, easier to keep clean, less smelly.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Oh, please DON'T go to a breeder! Adopt a piggy that doesn't have a home!:) You can even have a meet-and-greet before you bring the other pig home!
Ace would really appreciate it, and so would the other pig!

purpletulip4u

Cavy Slave
I agree not to go to a breeder! (I am new to guinea pigs, but have learned why you should not do this) I have looked online at the rescue here in my area and ( https://www.theguineapigrescue.com/) they have the cutest piggies! They will teach you a lot too. I am sure there is one in your area. If you look to the left of the picture you will see I just made an addition to their new cage with the first small cage I got.

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1414977750659.jpg

Acethepiggy

Cavy Slave
How much are the pigs from a rescue? do most rescues allow a meet-and-greet? Do you have to pay to do that? I ask so many questions. I will get a C&C cage when I can.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Rescues have different prices, so you'd have to ask. The money goes to support the operations of the rescue, and to take care of the "sanctuary" pigs -- those who are too old/ill/disabled to be placed in a private home.

Most rescues will let you do a meet and greet, and there's no charge for that. Again, you need to ask.

Acethepiggy

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.