Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Moving a long way, conflicted about my boys

LydiaM

Cavy Slave
I have recently decided to move to Alaska. It is a few thousand miles from my current location. I have looked at various threads on here, but I have not found any that corresponds too closely with my predicament.

When I initially made the decision to relocate, there was no doubt in my mind that I would be bringing my little buds with me. I looked into the regulations of the airline I am using, so I was pretty committed to not abandoning them. And that's how I would see this situation if I decided not to bring them along. I made a commitment to care for them. They have grown comfortable in the home I have provided. It is hard for me to imagine them elsewhere.

Here is what it comes down to. The amount of travel time overall would be about 9 to 10 hours--2 to 3 hours to the airport, then 7 to 8 hours on a non stop flight. There is another huge factor--the time of year. I will be moving at the end of December, so it will be very cold. I know that stress can make them sick and kill them. The combination of the travel time and temperatures worry me greatly.

I know a lot of people have done long distance travel with their piggies. Can I in good conscience move my guineas with me? or would it ultimately be better for them if I were to adopt them out? I don't know if I could forgive myself if the move hurt them in any way--but then again it would feel like failure to leave them behind.

If anyone has a success story with a similar situation to mine, please share?

Please help me. They are family to me.

Would the guinea pigs be able to travel on board the plane with you or in cargo? If they can come on board I don't see an issue but if they have to be in cargo it may be too cold for them.

One thing you don't want to do is put them in cargo. There have been to many horror stories about pigs going in the cargo hold. If you can have them on board the plane with you then I would say it's fine. Although I've never traveled that far with pets before. And as far as keeping them relaxed and comfortable i think it would be the same as if you were taking them to the vet.

The other thing you need to consider is what kind of vet care you'll have once you get there. Exotic vets are thin on the ground in the mainland U.S., and I can't imagine that they are more plentiful in Alaska. Another factor is the availability and cost of veggies during the long winter months -- you probably need to contact another Alaska GP owner and see what those conditions are. I know there's a GL user in Alaska, but can't remember her name. Maybe one of the other GL readers can come up with it.

It's a long drive but I've done it. Any chance you could?

Any chance you get there by car. Dunno about other animals but I can't imagine what a plane taking off does to my ear drums very nice for any other animals either.
As for the cold, any chance of bringing them a bit later?
If you guinea pigs like you and Alaska is not too cold for them in general I have no doubt they will be happier with you than with a change of ownership - it will just be as sad for them as it is for you. And if you know you are vindictive on their well being, then others, on average, must be less so.
If you are comitted to caring for them, you will take the option best for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.