Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy I think she's pregnant

psungllama

Cavy Slave
I have two guinea pigs and I just found out that one of them is a male and they have been separated. But they're both only about 10/11 weeks old and I noticed my girl is getting pretty big. I found out that one of the signs of pregnancy is feeling bumps in the lower stomach and I felt it lightly and I think I felt some bumps. Also her face is still skinny, and it's just her stomach that's big. I'm going to take her to the vet, but if she is pregnant does anyone know any tips on what to do when the babies are born? Also should I hold her a certain way when she's pregnant? And can anyone tell me how to take care of her during the pregnancy and after? I would also like to know if it's true to have her eat Alfalfa hay while she's pregnant? And can someone give me a list of fruits/vegetables that are high in calcium? Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You feed her just like you would if she's not pregnant -- unlimited long strand grass hay (alfalfa is not a grass hay), unlimited pellets (plain pellets, no colored bits, preferably alfalfa), and veggies. You don't want to just pick high-calcium veggies, a good variety is important, and the pellets should provide enough calcium.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what you can feed, and how often.

At 10-11 weeks of age, she could be as much as 6 weeks pregnant. It's likely a bit less, like 4-5 weeks, but there's no way to know for sure. You don't need to take her to the vet unless you just want to, as long as she's not acting like anything is wrong. At about six weeks along, you'll be able to feel the pups moving if you put your hands along her flanks and press gently with your fingers. At about 8-9 weeks, you'll be able to hear the pups gnashing their teeth.

You can handle her normally until she's 6-7 weeks along. Just be sure to support her rear end, and don't let her stomach dangle. After that, handle her as little as possible, because it gets really uncomfortable for her. She's probably have the babies without difficulty, but read https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html for more information.

psungllama

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! This helped a lot!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.