Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Working from home with Guinea pigs!

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
So I may be getting a job working from home and I was wondering if guinea pigs are super loud during the day..wheeking etc. I know every guinea pigs different but it general are they noisy? My "office" would be in my room and the desk would have to be right next to the guinea pigs cage, I will be talking on the phone for 5, 8 hour days per week so I'll be in there a lot and can't have customers hear the pigs on the other end. Hopefully I get the job but I was just curious!

Thanks in advance!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Mine wheek when certain sounds are made. If these sounds (ie fridge opening, bags rustling, ect) aren't made, the pigs stay quiet. They do nose off and chase each other though which can be squeaky. Just depends I guess.

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys! That's a relief because I really want piggies :) as long as no bags are rustling I'm good lol.

Habs7123

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Well if you don't already know your pigs schedule... THEY say they are "active" for an hour then "down" for an hour. But anyone can tell you that certain sounds can rile them up. Rustling a bag or paper can make them think a treat or food will be coming. Even your voice can make them believe that they're going to get fed. Honestly, I wouldn't have my office anywhere that my pigs could even SEE me. They not only know my voice, but they know my footfall compared to my husbands! How many pigs do you have hon? that might make a difference.

kirt15

Cavy Slave
I often stay home all day doing uni work and the computer is right next to their cage. For me the main problem is that they are so cute that i find myself spending time watching them instead of doing my work! That's the hardest part of having piggies! Lol!lol But otherwise they are pretty quiet and mine only make a couple of noises like @Inle_Rabbit and @ThePigAlchemist said when they are chasing each other or sometimes when they hear/smell food. So you should be absolutely fine.

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Piggys especially males can make lots of noise. Even if he's neutered he still trys to hump the females all day. There is lots of squeeking running laps eating and running sounds. In order to calm my piggys down at night I fill the cage with suoer warm fleecey hideys and they snuggle up all night long. If piggys hear noise it wakes them to come out and play if it's silent they can be silent. Females usually make less noise thouvh. The more you have the more noise to expect

pinky

Cavy Slave
Piggys especially males can make lots of noise. Even if he's neutered he still trys to hump the females all day. There is lots of squeeking running laps eating and running sounds. In order to calm my piggys down at night I fill the cage with suoer warm fleecey hideys and they snuggle up all night long. If piggys hear noise it wakes them to come out and play if it's silent they can be silent. Females usually make less noise thouvh. The more you have the more noise to expect

Gender has nothing to do with the amount of vocalizations they make or how loud they are and the number of them doesn't make a difference unless you have a group that's very vocal. I have 4 right now and three are very quiet. One squeaks when I open the fridge but the rest come to the side of the cage quietly.

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Gender has nothing to do with the amount of vocalizations they make or how loud they are and the number of them doesn't make a difference unless you have a group that's very vocal. I have 4 right now and three are very quiet. One squeaks when I open the fridge but the rest come to the side of the cage quietly.

Sorry allow me to clarify I was referring to my own experienve. Although I would get mixed opinions so there are no unexpected suprises I.e thinking piggys are quite and then adopting piggys who rumble the cage down lol

Flowering

Cavy Slave
The more piggys you have the more chance of action lol

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
Well if you don't already know your pigs schedule... THEY say they are "active" for an hour then "down" for an hour. But anyone can tell you that certain sounds can rile them up. Rustling a bag or paper can make them think a treat or food will be coming. Even your voice can make them believe that they're going to get fed. Honestly, I wouldn't have my office anywhere that my pigs could even SEE me. They not only know my voice, but they know my footfall compared to my husbands! How many pigs do you have hon? that might make a difference.

I don't currently own any pigs that's why I was wondering. So I have no idea what personalities I'll have when I do get them.

Dagny_Rango

Cavy Slave
First of all good luck with getting the job!
My dream job is to work from home at a desk next to my pigs cage.

I also have four pigs and my neutered boar is by far the quietest. Two of three girls will wheek very loudly when I come home and if I open the fridge or run water. They make other noises throughout the day, but I'm pretty sure the only thing you would hear over the phone is their wheeks. Like others have said, it depends on the pigs and they're usually only loud if you give them a reason to be.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In addition to LOUD wheeking when anyone heads to the kitchen, or when my husband passes by the cage without dispensing blueberries, mine know their feeding schedule and are very vocal about telling me they haven't been fed yet.

If you need it to be wheek-less in your office, you'd better put your pigs somewhere else. But if you can tolerate the occasional rumble or wheek, and can keep a pile of lettuce on your desk to throw in the cage when they're getting hungry, you might get by with it.

piggielover89

Cavy Slave
Personally for me, i have 2 boys and 2 girls (seperated of course in a stacked c&c cage) but my boy is one of the loudest guinea pigs i have ever seen!! When he starts, my two girls chime in as well. My one boy is the only one who stays quiet. A lot of times it can be because of a noise, but he also does it every morning when i enter the room in the morning and periodically at random other times i enter as well. My work allows me to work from home sometimes (my desk is in my piggy room!) and i do personally have to move to the kitchen table to take calls sometimes if they are excited and providing a vocal concert :) I foster for a rescue and have seen other piggys that are also quieter. If you adopt from a rescue, you can find out their personalities and their level of noise prior to taking them home, which may help :)

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
In addition to LOUD wheeking when anyone heads to the kitchen, or when my husband passes by the cage without dispensing blueberries, mine know their feeding schedule and are very vocal about telling me they haven't been fed yet.

If you need it to be wheek-less in your office, you'd better put your pigs somewhere else. But if you can tolerate the occasional rumble or wheek, and can keep a pile of lettuce on your desk to throw in the cage when they're getting hungry, you might get by with it.

Unfortunately I still live at home so the only space I have is my room so when I have guinea pigs they need to be in my room and so would my work. Fingers crossed I get the job and then I guess I'll start worrying about piggy noises. I would be provided silencing headphones but I'm not sure how well they work.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Mine will wheek for veggies and other noises like bags rattling. But for the most part they're actually quite silent. I think if you will be so close to them they may not squeak mine mostly do it to get my attention. Since you'll be so close they may not squeak.

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
I'm a healthcare provider and a college professor and and I work from home a great deal. The cavy cage sits alongside my desk, so I'm with them most of the days I'm at my desk. They are so accustomed to my presence that they think I'm their cagemate.

Mine are vocal only when they are hungry......and that's not often. We feed them around 0830 and then again around 5:30pm and their internal clocks reflect this. They seem to be hungry about four hours after breakfast, and will be up and around the cage. I usually feed them something filling like corn husks or permit them to have pellets for about 30 min.

They also know when my husband is in the kitchen and know that he's a sucker for wheeks, especially Maya. She can be asleep and he comes home and is instantly wheeking for a snack.......needless to say, he has spoiled her rotten.

I don't understand why you are worried about an occasional wheek? Many people who work from home have pets and children that are occasionally heard. The big plus is that your cavies will get a lot of attention and will likely be very well adjusted and happy.

I think wheeking is adorable..but the job I hope I get is a customer service job and the customers aren't supposed to hear any background noise. I just didn't know since they'd be so close if that would be a problem. Who knows maybe I'll just have super quite piggies or they'll adjust to my schedule and only wheek at certain times ;)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Mine wheek anytime they hear me moving around upstairs, so when I'm working from home I have to be pretty careful not to let my desk chair squeak if I'm on a conference call. My female is the loudest wheeker, not my male.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.