Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Is this a Hay Poke?

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
im so happy, now im a little worried. Mickey, one of the shy but loving boys, has a crusty eye, and the pupil looks enlarged. Where the white *stuff* of the outer eye is, its all red. kinda like when you rub your eyes, or stay up way to late, how your eye starts to look red. Also, it kinda looks like he's been crying. lots of liquid, not positive if its saliva, or water? its a clear liquid.
I would fetch pictures to easier explain this, but he wont stay still lol. he loves to explore, and to kiss my hands, which I love, but it makes it hard for pictures. vet isn't an option at the moment, because its 4am, and ive been out on the road for almost 17 hours.
If its a hay poke, how do I treat it? I haven't wiped his eye, because I don't know exactly what im supposed to do. Thanks!

You can gently wipe it with a wash cloth soaked in either saline solution, or warm water. Wipe away from the eye ball so as if there's anything in there, you're not pushing it further in.

He could have scratched it with hay, or it could be something else. Either way, give it a wipe down, and get him to a vet as soon as you can.

Ditto Princess_Piggie. And do get him to the vet ASAP. Eye injuries are very painful, and can cause problems if not promptly treated.

How could I get him to hold still? When I tried to wipe it, he wheeled like it hurt..

I ment *wheeked* sorry. Can't edit now

It DOES hurt. If it were my pig, I'd take him to the vet. And eyes are the one thing about guinea pigs that most vets can treat. Eyes are eyes are eyes, you just have to make sure the vet doesn't give your pig one of the antibiotics on the dangerous list. See Guinea Lynx for that list, and print it off and take it with you.

I fear Mickey has gotten worse..

So, I posted here a couple day ago about Mickey, one of my shy but very loveable boys, got a hay poke in his left eye. we attempted to take him to the vet, and found out they don't do guinea pigs anymore. So I went online and was looking up vets, and found one.
(broken link removed)Theyre not open today sadly. Well, Mickey seems to have poked his other eye, (the 'right' one) although.. theres no hay. (Okay, theyre hay was all eaten when I went to bed, and I was really tired, long long day, so I decided to fill it in the morning, no hate.) I checked his eyes before I went to sleep, and beside the left one, they were okay. when I woke up, his right eye was all.. bloodshot. Ill provide pictures if needed.
The vet link that I posted above has a Facebook,
https://www.facebook.com/StMichaelsCompanionAnimalHospital
and I was wondering if there is anything I could/should do to accomdate Mickey until we can get him to this vet. Hes eaten well, drinking, and still pooping. which is good.
Also, any Colorado people here? Im in Greeley, so if anyone has any vet recommdations, gladly appreciated!
-Huggles and Mickey

Re: I fear Mickey has gotten worse..

Looks like a pretty good vet to me. I hope his eye gets better quickly!

I fear Mickey has gotten worse..

Poor Mickey. I'd take the guinea lynx dangerous medications list just to be sure they are on the right track but as @bpatters has mentioned before that any vet can treat a piggie eye infection. Good luck! Please keep us posted on how little Mickey is doing.

Post pictures of the eyes, please.

If you can find an emergency vet, you need to take him in. Eye problems are often very painful. And eyes are the only things that non-exotic vets can usually treat successfully -- eyes are eyes are eyes, and what works on one species will normally work on another. If you go, print off this list (https://www.guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html) and take it with you. Antibiotics are sometimes prescribed for eyes, because they're not given orally, but you still have to give them sparingly so the pig can't get it on its feet and ingest them.

First one is Mickey's left eye, and the second is the right. The one on the right is what I noticed this morning.

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1402244399243.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1402244445345.jpg

I'm thinking that there's something else going on then just an eye poke.

Any idea on what that is?

Usually when both eyes are involved it means the pig isn't feeling well. Perhaps he has an upper respiratory infection. Has he lost any weight? It's a good idea to weigh your guinea pigs at least weekly.

My scale recently broke so I haven't been able to weigh him for the past couple days..

He looks like he needs to see an exotics vet right away. His eyes are pretty crusty looking. Is he sneezing?

Not so much sneezing, but he is sleeping so much.. He's still eating and drinking, but less moving around

Yeah, lethargy is a sign of illness, he needs to see the vet. Do you need help finding one?

No I have a vet, just waiting to get into see her. Hopefully soon because we recently hit a financial problem and our emergency funding for the piggies went to another usage. I although get paid soon so im doing the best i can to provide for him.

Make an appointment and ask if they keep a list of patients needing a sooner appointment if someone cancels. If they don't then call every day to see if they had any cancellations. This sometimes works with people doctors' offices too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.