Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated How to Make it Easier to Pick Up my Pigs?

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
My two boars, Zeke and Dewey, are very difficult to pick up to the point where I don't even want to get them out for floor time because I spend to long trying to pick them up. And being in High School I don't really have a lot of time in my day. Any advice as to making them more comfortable with me picking them up?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You can use cuddle cups or any one of their beds. You could probably turn an igloo upside down. Or the piggy elevator.

For the piggy elevator just take a box cut a hole in it but leave a flap so you can close it. Put a towel inside place some veggies inside. Then you just wait for one to go inside or shoo one inside. I've used it on one of my boys because he won't let me touch him. Its much easier on me and less stressful on them.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I've been using two cuddle sacks and cornering them and then they will run into one of the cuddle sacks because they can't go anywhere else. Penny does try and jump over so I just lift the cuddle sack when she does that.

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
I actually don't have any cuddle cups or sacks, I've been trying to get my hands on some for a while but it just hasn't really worked out. But I do like the piggy elevator idea @Starthecavy123 I might have to try that. All I've been doing is chasing them into a wooden hut and pick them up one handed while the other hand lifts up the hut. I know that's not good for them and that's why I want to figure something out.

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
My pigs are only about a year and a half so they're still pretty fast so I don't know if that will work or not but I'll try :)

adykish

Cavy Gazer
I have a portable cage that I corral them into. That can then be rolled to the floor time area. I also have 4" wide tubes that are 2 or 3 feet long. You can also use mailing tubes or triangles from USPS, UPS, FEDEX. I put them in the cage and they love to run in and out of them. Just urge them into the tube, pick it up but ensuring that your hands are protecting both ends, bring it to free time area, and let the pig out. Mine chew, poop, and pee in them so once they get too gross, they get tossed or recycled.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.