Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) How to resist baby guinea pigs!?

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Just been to my local rescue an they had the cutest little piggies in! One of which I could have just run home with! How do people resist them! I love my 2 boys and would hate to disrupt there cage life if I added another little man but boy do I want that little pig! Lol xx please all tell me I don't need a baby pig! Lol xx

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
I'm not one to ask for advice because I just added an adorable baby girl to my sows cage :3 babies actually usually are added in pretty well no matter if you are adding to males or females from what I understand (I know... I'm not helping lol).

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
I can either help you go for or against yourself, depending.
If you've got the resources, why not do it? I'm sure the baby would love to have your company. And the piggies you already have would sure love a SECOND friend to hang out with!
But then, babies take TIME and EFFORT to maintain. I am sure, by your post, that you are ready for that. But you obviously don't want a new baby. You're trying to resist. So tell yourself that you do not want the baby, and believe it. Don't go there unless you have to. And good luck :)

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I can totally relate! I am such a softy but I need to reign it in...In 2011 I started with just two, I really thought I would be able to stand my ground but when you go and you see these beautiful little babies and one just happens to call to you...well, we had 5 by the time January 2012 came around and then my doctor advised me to find them new homes due to my reactions (not testing me or anything just going on a hunch), I was getting hives, runny nose, dry, scratchy throat...anyway, we have two now and the bug is biting me to get another but I am really going to try and stand my ground here...I am not going into a pet store that has any babies, I actually was thinking about fostering but then I know I'd be the kind to fall in love with them and end up keeping them...two is the number and two it will stay.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Honestly, it can be really hard. I think it's really important to step away for a day and really think about your situation and if you are able to take another one.
Babies are so stinking cute and it is really easy to get caught up in the moment and take one home and then reality sets in and you say -oops, what did I do?

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I've always had pigs from about a year old although I got mine now at about 4 months they are about 5 an a half months an to be honest they have been the easiest pigs I've ever had! They get on perfectly although being in a large c&c must help! I just always worry that trying to add a baby would result in 2 cages an my current boys not getting along anymore an then I'd feel really guilty! Xx

Is it much extra work having 3 rather than 2? I already happily spend as much time as I can up with my pigs feeding playing cuddling and cleaning them - mine are just about getting used to me swooping in to pick them up for piggie cuddles! They happily let me pet them in their cage while they are munching on their veggies too xx

Rach84

Cavy Slave
If I did decide to go get this little man as I know where he has come from an met his mum! How would it be best to introduce him? Neutral ground still? Or if I cleaned my boys out extra well could he just go in? Xx

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
If I did decide to go get this little man as I know where he has come from an met his mum! How would it be best to introduce him? Neutral ground still? Or if I cleaned my boys out extra well could he just go in? Xx
Intros on neutral ground is a must!!!

Then the cage needs cleaned and all toys and accessories cleaned or replaced (like TP rolls). All hidey houses should have 2exits.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
The only really extra work is baby proofing the cage for such a little one. I've had to do extra spot cleanings (sometimes 2-3 a day instead of just 1 daily)... but other than that it isn't that much different from having 2. It changed the dynamics between our girls slightly... but they all get a long fine. And you should still introduce on neutral ground (after a bath so no one smells) and clean out the cage. The only real difference in introductions is with babies it is recommended that you skip quarantine because they need a positive piggy role model.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
The little man I've seen is from my local rescue not a pet store @CavyMama xx

adelore

Cavy Slave
Oh just go get him, you know you want to... :) and I'm not going to talk you out of it....when you have 2 guinea pigs, what's one more? More Happiness that's what!!!

I too am adopting one possible two piggies this week Thursday! I placed an add on Craigs list saying I wanted a guinea Pig to adopt. Since I've been watching for a few weeks now Craigs list and all over the internet, Yes resisting the pet stores. I had some answers to my add....yepee! Thursday, I go and get one forsure, possible the two. I say possible two, as the lady wants 20.00 each for them. I just can't swing the $40 for two new piggies, as I've just bought more grids to build another cage and to expland the one I have. I think $20 is a little steep, when I've told her I don't need the cage or supplies....they were going to come with them too. Store bought cages. She also told me that one of them might possible be pregant. Not to mention My Semi engine was just re-built. So if she really wants to find forever homes for the both of them, then....hopefully she'll keep her cages, sell the on Craigs list and let me have the 2 of them for a deal. Otherwise I'm walking away with just adopting one.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I spent all night in a 'grump' because I didn't bring him home last night! Lol so I sat an got sewing! So I've now got 3 extra cosies!Xx

just looking for neutral ground to intro them - would the bath work? Lol xx obviously is line it with unused towels an fleece xx

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the double post!! But decision made and I am going to be boring and resist!! Baby pigs always get adopted so my little man won't be in the rescue long he's far to beautiful. Plus I would never forgive myself if it upset my current pair who get on brilliantly ~ if the little one ended up hurt or it lead to my boys having a fight I'd be gutted ~ so I don't think I can risk it!! xx

adelore

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the double post!! But decision made and I am going to be boring and resist!! Baby pigs always get adopted so my little man won't be in the rescue long he's far to beautiful. Plus I would never forgive myself if it upset my current pair who get on brilliantly ~ if the little one ended up hurt or it lead to my boys having a fight I'd be gutted ~ so I don't think I can risk it!! xx
I fully understand how you feel. I think in your heart of hearts this is the right choice for you and your boys. Hey at least lots of positives came out ofit....You've been busy Sewing for your boys. :)

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I still haven't stopped thinking about the little man! I know I've got the time money an pure want to look after him! Lol xx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.