Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is this a reasonable alternative?, I need a new bedding, And, an apology...

Lishar

Cavy Slave
I'm in Australia to... Yes there big, but not poisonous...
And if a Guinea Pig came close to one I think it would just run away...

I don't mean to start a fight or anything!
I don't want to start a fight.

But I just felt like saying something...

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Lishar just because they aren't posionous means nothing. Spider bites can easily become infected.

What happens in the event that it doesn't "just run away"? What happens when it bites a pig, or possibly a few, and they become infected? Since they're outside do they get as much attention? How long would it take the OP to notice the bites? Surely they can become infected in that time.

This also raises the question, if her mom is so unwilling to let them live inside how would she feel about having to drive possibly hours to an emergency vet and pay several bills?

Lishar

Cavy Slave
It's late and I need to go to bed...
But I just want to say its pretty unlikely they would get bitten...

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
It's late and I need to go to bed...
But I just want to say its pretty unlikely they would get bitten...

It's a spider, it can bite.

I hope that's all the odds that anyone needs.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Okay, I just want to point out that I really can't afford to rehome my guinea pigs.
This may be a bit personal, but I guess I'll have to say it so you people will understand.
I'm a 14yo girl and I've just recently been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome.
I already had an obvious case of social anxiety and depression.
Life's really hard on me, and these guinea pigs are my only escape from everyone else.
When I go to hug them, they always chat to me and lie down and fall asleep.
And because of my disability, animals seriously mean allot to me...thats why I have so many.
I constantly argue with my mum, and it always ends in tears... so I always run to my piggies.
Skittles and Sugar especially help me...they even lick away my tears.
These pigs are my life...nothing you guys say will make me give them up.

I think that's something you need to address and work out with your mom then. I understand how difficult it is having a disability but an animal shouldn't be forced to live in conditions that can be harmful to them because of our needs. Just as you might need special accommodations, so do your guinea pigs. Not all pets are suited to what each person can offer them so it's up to us to make sure we can meet those needs before we bring them into our home.

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
Sorry for not understanding your problems before, hope I didn't sound rude or anything

I know how much animals can help when you're in rough times, so I would understand that having to rehome them would be an incredibly difficult thing to do. I guess if your mom lets them stay inside for at least SOME time that's better than them staying in the shed 24/7. Don't give up on trying to convince your mom to let your pigs inside 24/7 though! Maybe with some time, she'll give in. I think you should definitely make it SUPER predator proof, so even the tiniest of bugs can't get in. Make sure everything is strong and secure. I really recommend having fleece as bedding, you can just hand wash the fleece, sure it can be time consuming and a bit hard, but your piggies will definitely like it a lot more.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I have cancer. This is my 3rd time coming out of remission. I understand how guinea pigs help, but that's no excuse. they're in your care. "Well this is better than terrible" isn't enough. You need to remove yourself from the situation and make a mature decision.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Okay, I just want to point out that I really can't afford to rehome my guinea pigs.

If you mean financially, it costs nothing to rehome. If you mean emotionally for your social anxiety, believe me, I do get that. My pigs help me in much the same way. However, I would think that an animal that can be housed indoors (dog? cat?) that can give you cuddles and comfort, would fit the bill just as easily. Having the pigs housed outdoors, I'm not sure they can be much of a comfort to you during the anxious times either.

I understand your conflict but perhaps you can rehome them to someone nearby so you can visit them? Or maybe you can adopt a different comfort animal that you can keep in the house all the time.

As for your mother watching them while you aren't home...it doesn't sound like your mom has much vested interest in the pigs so I wonder about how much attention she would pay to them anyway.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I'm sorry to hear that, but that's no excuse to not house them properly. That sounds aa little selfish that you would let them live that way because you "need them". You should get an aquarium. They're very calming and can be a huge responsibility.
I already have 5 aquariums...and lots of fish bowls.
They don't hhave half the impact piggies do...

Last edited:

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
@Lishar just because they aren't posionous means nothing. Spider bites can easily become infected.

What happens in the event that it doesn't "just run away"? What happens when it bites a pig, or possibly a few, and they become infected? Since they're outside do they get as much attention? How long would it take the OP to notice the bites? Surely they can become infected in that time.

This also raises the question, if her mom is so unwilling to let them live inside how would she feel about having to drive possibly hours to an emergency vet and pay several bills?
I'll have you know that on weekends I visit them EXTREMELY reguarly, and whenever I see a spider I kill it.
On schooldays, I visit them once in the morning (to get myself ready for school) and twice in the afternoon.
But now that their inside that doesn't really matter...

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
If you mean financially, it costs nothing to rehome. If you mean emotionally for your social anxiety, believe me, I do get that. My pigs help me in much the same way. However, I would think that an animal that can be housed indoors (dog? cat?) that can give you cuddles and comfort, would fit the bill just as easily. Having the pigs housed outdoors, I'm not sure they can be much of a comfort to you during the anxious times either.

I understand your conflict but perhaps you can rehome them to someone nearby so you can visit them? Or maybe you can adopt a different comfort animal that you can keep in the house all the time.

As for your mother watching them while you aren't home...it doesn't sound like your mom has much vested interest in the pigs so I wonder about how much attention she would pay to them anyway.

She pretends not to like them, but shes an honest woman and she keeps her word...she looks after them!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Well, come on guys I think its MUCH better then keeping them in a shed 24-7...
I have a friend with Aspergers Syndrome...

I agree, especially with the kind of homes some of the piggys end up with. I also agree with talking to your mom, if she feels they need to be brought in at times and she does. Ask her wouldn't it just be easier to have them in doors all the time. If your mom doesn't want to wash the fleece, can you? Or is it that she doesn't want it washed in her washer.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
...so you've seen spiders more than once? I don't think you understand. Any spider could kill one of your pigs.

How is that not enough of a risk for you to want to rehome them? You would rather your pigs possibly die and be yours than live in a home where something like that wouldn't happen?
I'll have you know that on weekends I visit them EXTREMELY reguarly, and whenever I see a spider I kill it.
On schooldays, I visit them once in the morning (to get myself ready for school) and twice in the afternoon.
But now that their inside that doesn't really matter...

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Please do not forget that being a responsible pet parent means doing what is best for them and not you. That could mean giving up personal spending money to purchase what they need to rehoming them if you can not give them a safe and stable environment. Having pets is about sacrificing what you like and want for what they need and if you cannot do that the pet is not for you. These animals rely on us to keep them safe and healthy. You can keep yourself safe and healthy. Just something to think about.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.