Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Annoying Cat At Night- Pig Room

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I haven't been on here in a long time, but getting back into the swing of things, I have a question.

So I have a cat/pig relationship issue my parents are worried about before I can finally convince them that I need a furry companion. (or two!)

Just jumping right into it, the only place that the pig(s) would be able to live would be in my bedroom. This is because my 2yr old cat(s) are insanely attracted to small wiggly creatures such as goldfish, chipmunks, crickets, and possibly most of all- guinea pigs. Due to the fact that the entire rest of the house is free for my cats, my room is pretty much the only option for the pigs to live. (Yes I have considered smells and noises during the night)(I have a fish that likes to blow bubbles and shift around his tank's marbles in the late nocturnal hours)

However, with each solution comes a problem. My incredibly annoying (of the two) cat has taken up the bad habit of when he hears noise, smells smells, etc., he paws at the doorknob- or MUST know what it is IMMEDIATELY. Now, during the day he will be eventually be distracted by other possible "fun", but during the night and super early in the morning, he is persistent and does this obnoxious thing. He will eventually cut it out, but that's after my parents have to get up and yell at him several times.I'm having trouble having a fix for this problem. Our doorknobs are very jiggly and make a lot of noise when they are prodded at. And who wants scary cat paws popping in underneath your door?

I have my whole cage worked out if I was able to get a pig, and it would have a secure lid if one or more of the cats slipped in.(We actually have three cats total, but one is old and wouldn't care about the piggies.) So, that's not an issue. Its the fact of keeping my cat from waking everyone up with his obnoxious habits at night.

Will I be able to adopt a piggy or two? Or will I have to wait until I have my own place? (This would be in more than 6 years) If you have any ideas at all, please just put them down!

Also, last thing, before adopting pigs, I would think it would be beneficial to foster one/a pair. Does anyone have any opinions in that thought? (My mom and I volunteer at a humane society in our area.)

Thanks everyone, you guys are so helpful :)

-Rsgymjam

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
First off I want to say fostering is wonderful! I've never fostered guinea pigs, but I've fostered over 50 basset hounds in my life and it is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done and I always encourage people to give it a try.

Now onto your problem:

First question- do you have to sleep with the door closed? If you have a secure lid on the guinea pig cage and your fish tank your cat being in the room shouldn't be a big problem?

If you do have to sleep with the door closed I might suggest getting a new door handle, as this is a problem without guinea pigs you may want to do this regardless of whether or not you decide to get some piggies.

If a door handle is also not an option I would suggest getting one of those high frequency sound emitters that people use to train small dogs to keep them from barking. Your parents could keep it by there bed and press it when he starts being a pain, and this might eventually train him not to jiggle your door handle at night. Then you might be able to consider getting a guinea pig. However the way it sounds now this is a problem you guys have and will continue to have regardless of whether or not you get a guinea pig. And getting an active piggie will certainly not make it better.

The easiest fix would be just leaving your door open or getting a new knob though.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
@StarTaleMaddnes Thank you so much for your reply! I actually have though about getting a new door handle- so thanks again for the suggestion :)

The only bad thing about the high-frequency sound transmitter would be that with the other cats in the house, that might confuse them :)

Say I did end up with an active piggy- would there be a way to 'wear him out' during the day after school?

Again any answers to either question is very much appreciated!!!!!!

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
The sound emmiter should be a last resort I think, but it is something for you and your parents to consider if this continues to be a problem. It will confuse/ upset your other kitties but you have to weigh how much of a problem this is becoming against that.

A new door handle is probably a really good way to start.

As far as an active piggy goes here's my comment on that: I imagine you'll be getting a pair as opposed to just one, and if you do they should tire each other out during the day. My three are pretty quite at night but every once in a while they decide zoomies at two is the best thing in the world and I quietly hear my husband go "**** it all" :)

If you end up with an active piggie, I'd make sure your room is nice and cool during the day, so they have no incentive to become nocturnal, see if you can get them to run around and explore during floor time by sprinkling veggies around there floor time space. I've noticed changing up my cage landscpe every month or so keeps my three fairly active. So this month I took out a hidey hut, I have two in usually, and put hammocks and tents in each corner. Next month I plan to add in a bunk bed system and remove the second hidey and another hammock. The day before cage cleaning when I don't mind a messier cage I put a big pile of hay in at 8 o'clock at night and let them go nuts. Big piles of hay are good for getting them out and about during floor time as well.

My first two girls used to hate floor time, so much so I didn't even bother. Now with the help of their new neutered buddy Walter who is just the most perfect sociable guinea pig in the world (in my humble opinion) they actually enjoy floor time twice a week. It's unlikely that you'll have a crazy hyper piggie, but if you do you'll have to figure out what works best for you and your schedule, and that will change as your schedule changes and as you and they age.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much again!

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Anybody else have any ideas? (Bump)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I don't have any additional suggestions for your cat but instead has to do with pigs in your bedroom.

I have 4 sows that live in my bedroom during the school year while I'm at University. I think in the year that they have lived in my room there has only been 2 or 3 times they have woken me up.

If you get them into a schedule they should be quiet during the night. I feed mine their veggies about the same times every day. I also make sure to keep my room bright during the day.

Guinea pigs are most active at dawn and dusk. My girls are up around 7:30am and are running around and munching until 11am. They are also really active from about 8 until 11pm.

I wouldn't worry about "wearing them out" even if you have a very active pig. You can't make them exercise, just make sure that you have a good sized cage so they can drain their energy as they need.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh Thanks! That also helps a lot!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would just make a secure cat proof cage, and let your cat in your room. Once cats exhaust their curiosity about guinea pigs, they are usually bored with them. My cats are only interested in the pigs' hay. Many people even put cat beds on top of the cages, so the cats can nap there.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, that's where our cat bed is -- on top of the GP cage. Litter box, too, to keep the dogs from eating cat crunchies. Our cat is a kitten, so still very interested in the pigs, but his legs aren't long enough to swat them through the lid, and the walls have plexiglass.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys!

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy I would definitely be able to let my cats in my room during the day and under supervision! @bpatters and @foggycreekcavy However, during the night, my cat likes to chew on everything and knock things over. He would also probably freak the pigs out :)

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Let me give you some advise, wait until you have your own place.
I've been here since 2009, and during that time I was kicked out of my parent's house and living in a 2 bedroom trailer shared with my boyfriend, his mother and grandmother, before I got my own apartment.
I definitely never thought I'd be in that situation.
If you get guinea pigs, they could live many, many years. But who's to say your parents won't insist you get rid of them at some point in the future before you get your own place?
Or what if you go off to college and can't take your pigs with you? You might not think you'd encounter that situation but many things can change in a year's time.
I say, enjoy your cats, and plan for the day where you can have an apartment with your piggies. ^-^

YinYangPiggies

Cavy Slave
I'd say just put the annoying cat in a kennel at night. I do with mine & she likes sleeping there. It keeps her from waking us up I the middle of the night & she's awake & very sociable with us during the day.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Not sure where you're at but you could install one of those sliding mosquito screens. It's like a roller shade turned on it side that covers the door. Nothing there to jiggle. Don't know if your cat has its nails to rip it or not but it could be a workable option.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.