Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What would make a happy pig

DarkMoo

Cavy Slave
I am a proud owner of two abyssinian guinea pigs; Light Moo and Dark Moo (sisters). They are truly the best type of piggy wiggies to have :p Maybe those cute teddy bear types can match up.. Not sure..
What would make a happy pig
Unfortunately, Light Moo passed on last night at 3¾ years old. Kinda early if you ask me.

Dark Moo has been taking it well. She is eating and drinking like normal. She was always the relaxed/dumb one. Light Moo was the high stress run from everything type. I knew all the stress would catch up to her someday. Anyway, buying her a little buddy is off the table. I am content with having the single guinea pig and devoting more time than usual to keep her spirits high. But is it enough for Dark Moo? Which option do you think is best?

1)Keep her till death do you part
2)Give her up to loving STRANGERS with little fuzzys who she has never known
3)Euthanasia
4)Eat
5)Feed to larger animal

This is my third pair of guinea pigs and please assume I have taken 110% care of all of them. If you have other comments or suggestions, please post! And do not suggest purchasing another cavvy as I have my first child due in September to think about. Thanks!

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I would try to wait and see how she does definitely NOT 4 or 5, or 3 !!!!!! If she stats having problems I would adopt her out to good people or give her to a rescue that knows proper care for guinea pigs

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your child! I would give her to strangers. But ask if you can come to their house and do intros before you say yes or no. GuineaPigZone is a good site for this.

But, you can keep her too. Dont over feed her. Just give her extra cuddles and more toys.

Again, like you are, keep the child in mind. Once he/she comes, you wont have as much time for your piggie. Post her up on GuineaPigZone or Craigslist now (if you want to adopt her out) and make sure you mark it as "waiting for the right home"

Again congrats on the new addition to your family!!

PiggyLove1

Cavy Slave
Keep her till death if she's taking it well, and if she's still alive by the time your child doesn't need as much attention (I know they always will!) as they did when they were first born, get another piggy. And good luck with your son or daughter!:)

P.S.
NOT 5!!!!!

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Uhm I believe there should only be very little options being if she doesn't do well alone then get her another piggie or find a piggie recue to give her up to or an experienced piggie owner all other "options" shouldn't even be on the table they should be thrown out the window! The way to keep a piggie happy is a large cage and lots of food/hay/veggies and toys and some tunnels and lots of attention.

by the way cute pigture :)

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Sorry about your loss...they looked like they were quite a lovely bonded pair. Guess time will only tell. When a newborn arrives life as you know it will never be the same. Time is simply not your own. I have three children and know never to underestimate sleep deprivation. So the sooner you plan on making a decision, the better for both you and Moo. Best wishes on motherhood!

DarkMoo

Cavy Slave
Best wishes on motherhood!

What is this!? I am a MAN. What woman would suggest Eating a guinea pig or feeding it to animals? My "piggy wiggies" vocabulary I guess is a bit misleading. Too much role playing..

Thank you everyone for your kind words and interest in my situation. The two complimented each other very well, though I doubt they had the strong affection like other pairs I read about. They were just good sisters who got along with the occasional tantrums.

I've decided to play it by ear and keep her more involved. Behold my beer box home,

"That's cruel!"
"Abuse!"
"Terrible caregiver!"

Relax I've got the usual setup,

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
LMAO!!! K then...sorry for mis-sexing you! Good luck w Papa-hood! Just take care... If you think folks can find that kind of humor crass about your guinea pigs... Sleep deprivation and off color jokes about new borns or new mommies do NOT mix. Seriously making a decision about guinea pig before your baby arrives is best. I adopted a sun conure when I didn't know I was pregnant. Had to find a new home because I couldn't tolerate the smell of the food n she needed a great deal of attention and would scream for it... Not good when thinking of getting a baby to sleep.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
o_O... not 5..definatly not 4... not 3.. ;-; I would choose 1-2, but im glad you chose 1 (or did I mis read?) Im glad you are having a new born sir c:

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am all for keeping her alone as long as her behaviour doesn't change for the worse. I know with birds that it so so hard on an them to experience a new home no matter how much "better" it seems on them mentally. It's like sending them off to a whole new world and it's hard on them. To me it's like taking me out of my family and placing me in one that seems to be better for me.

I can't even imagine have 3, 4 and 5 on the list. #3 is reserved only if the animal is in pain and there is little to no hope of them getting better. #4, I'd rather starve than eat my gp that has been my buddy, #5 is plain cruel.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
No on 3,4,and 5. These are not solutions to the problem. 1 or 2 are the way to go, depending on whichever you decide that fits the situation the best. I also recommend guineapigzone.com as a wonderful place to rehome the piggies.

Also, congrats on the baby! :)

DarkMoo

Cavy Slave
I adopted a sun conure when I didn't know I was pregnant.

Sounds like a bird *looks it up* Wow, it's a baby phoenix! The energy to care for a phoenix is astronomical.

@UchihaMickey, Artista, spudsthepiglet

The world is a strange place filled with weird individuals. Guinea pigs are tonight's dinner in some parts :eek:hmy: My inclination was always toward option 1. The way Artista explains it is how I feel. She might eventually get lonely, but in our house we have routine, predictability and a feeling of safety (if we ignore options 3/4/5..). By giving her to a new household she might make new friends, but she'll lose 2 more in the process along with the whole world she knows. Keeping her is the selfish choice and I wanted to be sure it was good for Dark Moo too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.