Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance re-introduced 3rd brother & now one of his brothers won't come down from loft

sherri86

Cavy Slave
HI,

I recently adopted 2 brothers 4 months old Buddy and Percy, they got along great. I found out that the third brother G man, never found a home, so I decided to take him so he could be with his brothers again. They were apart about 2 months. They seemed ok at first, but G man is really being dominate, & although he dominates both brothers he picks on Buddy more than the other. Buddy was dominate over Percy when it was just the two of them, but not as bad as G man.

I have a 2 x 4 with a narrow loft, now Buddy won't come down from it. I have had to put hay, pellets etc. so he does not starve. I feel so so bad, I don't know what to do to help Buddy.

any suggestions would be great..

Thank you
Sherri

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, a 2x4 is nowhere near large enough for three boars, and you'll have major aggression at some point. You need at least a 2x5, and a 2x6 (or a 3x4) is preferable.

Second, we never recommend adding a third male to an established pair, even if they're all brothers. It means nothing to them, and if they've been separated for more than just a day or so, it's like introducing complete strangers.

Third, get rid of the loft and expand the cage. A ramp to a loft is just an invitation to aggression when you've got pigs that aren't getting along well.

Fourth, how did you introduce them? If you just plopped the new one in the cage, you invited the others to attack. See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for how to introduce.

At this point, I'd remodel the cage, take them all out for a buddy bath (all at the same time, not one after the other), thoroughly clean the cage so nothing smells anything like any pig, put them in a big neutral place for hours (no hideys, just piles of food and water), and try again. If that doesn't work, I'd let Gus be a singleton, or get another cage and another buddy for him.

sherri86

Cavy Slave
thank you for your help. I did keep them separate but next to each other in their cages. I introduced them again slowly in a neutral area for about a week, and although G-man was the definite dominate pig they seemed to be ok in the play pen. It was when I put him in the cage with his brothers that Buddy got stressed.

I have G-man back in his own cage and Buddy and Percy are back to their old selves. I may try and introduce them again, but will probably keep G-man in his own cage. I do not have room to expand the cage, as I have two 2x4 cages back to back since I have 5 pigs.

Thanks again Bpatters

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't introduce them slowly over a week. Once they're together they should be left together, or in the case of keeping them in separate cages, leave them apart entirely. It only stresses the pigs out if you put them together numerous times and keep separating them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @pigmommy89. Don't put them together and then separate them -- you're just making things worse.

Re-read (or read for the first time) that link I gave you about introductions, and try again.

Capricex

Cavy Slave
Ditto @pigmommy89. Don't put them together and then separate them -- you're just making things worse.

Re-read (or read for the first time) that link I gave you about introductions, and try again.

Yea, I mean I don't see the point in disturbing the pair again if they get along. JUst leave him side by side and that'll be enough to hear and talk to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.