Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise Guinea pigs & water

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
I've just read a thread about guinea pigs and swimming. I wouldn't want to do that but when it is hot (weather wise) how would it be for guinea pigs to be in a waterproof area with say 1cm of water.

Even with just one centimeter of water it will still scare your guinea pigs a lot. They will most likely try to escape as soon as you put them in. In hot weather I like to put ice packs into little DIY fleece pillow cases I made. My guinea pigs love to lay on it. Every once in awhile I also add a few ice cubes into their water bottles. In the summer I also keep them in my bedroom where it is air-conditioned.

Actually, it depends on your guinea pigs. They can swim, but most don't enjoy it, and they can get URI's if they get water up their noses. But my first two actually enjoyed paddling around in the bathtub. I'd put a big towel down and weight it with bricks so they had some traction, then put an inch of water in the tub. They'd go from one end to the other, and seemed to enjoy it very much. The three I've got not, not at all.

Even with just one centimeter of water it will still scare your guinea pigs a lot. They will most likely try to escape as soon as you put them in. In hot weather I like to put ice packs into little DIY fleece pillow cases I made. My guinea pigs love to lay on it. Every once in awhile I also add a few ice cubes into their water bottles. In the summer I also keep them in my bedroom where it is air-conditioned.

I like your idea of an ice cube wrapped in fleece. Can you explain how you made this?

You can just fill a soda bottle with water, freeze it, roll a piece of fleece around it, and put it in the cage.

I've used the same soda-bottle-ice-pack with rabbits. They really -really- like to cool off with them. :3

I like your idea of an ice cube wrapped in fleece. Can you explain how you made this?

I sewed two pieces of fleece together, then flipped them inside out so the seams would be on the inside. Flat ice packs fit the best inside. My guinea pigs actually prefer sleeping on these then in cuddle cups.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.