Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C I hate their new cage

4TimeMama

Cavy Slave
We expanded the boys' cage to a 3x5, and I *hate* it. It's too big, and I can't reach the back to clean it at all. They love it though. *sigh* it's cut down (but not eliminated) the fighting.

We can maybe expand 1 grid lengthwise, and upwards would be fine. I know an upper level doesn't count for cage space, but I'm not really sure what else I could do. I need to clean the cage properly, and they need space. An L shape isn't an option either.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is it on the floor, or on a table? If it's on the floor, just step in it. If it's on a table, can you put wheels on the table so you can pull it out to reach in from the other side?

4TimeMama

Cavy Slave
It's on a table and has a lid because of our cats. When they were on the floor the cars went after them relentlessly. I made it myself so I'll have to see if I can find casters I can add to it, but it is on carpet. I moved them to the living room for more interaction with me since I'm home most of the day, but I don't use our computer room much which is where they were (and has hardwood floors). I hope that will work because I'm sure the boys are enjoying the peace as much as I am. ;)

4TimeMama

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x5 cage with a 2x2 offset loft that is wedged between my desk and the wall in a corner of my small home office. The cage was built to fit the allowed space and a separate grid stand built to fit the cage. The cage has casters on it to permit it being moved out to clean behind it.

How do you move a cage of that size from room to room? My 2x5 won't fit through an ordinary doorway unless turned on its side. You can buy casters at many stores and attach them to the cage with zip ties. They function on carpet or hardwood floors I'm happy to post pics of mine if you wish.

Our house is pretty open plan, with just a wall and a small 'hallway' separating the computer room and living room. I moved the boys to their floor time area and we moved the table and cage. The table is made of wood, so cable ties won't work for the casters. I'll have to find some that can be screwed in/on.

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You could try changing it to a 2.5 x 5. That's what I have, with a two by two add-on to make an L shape. Mine is on the floor, and I can just reach to the far corner. It's surprising how much more spacious that half a grid makes it compared to a 2 grid width. Here's a pic:

I hate their new cage

4TimeMama

Cavy Slave
Update! I have been sick, so I had to do it a bit at a time, and I still want to add a loft, but I am (mostly) loving the new cage after the modifications I made! I put a linen closet wire shelf on the back, and then raised the roof of the other two grids by 1. I hope that makes sense! It's a backwards, vertical L lol. I'll see if I can attach some pics.

It's so roomy for the boys, they never ever fight like they used to. They still do their dominance dances, but it never escalates now, because they have room to run away. I bought casters that I had to drill into the legs of the table, but it was easy enough after I worked out how it's done.

Cleaning is actually easier than it was even in their smaller cage, because I'm not having to bend over as far which is a lifesaver because I have a bad back. It goes so much faster now, I can get to everything this way.

I will ill say though, had I known what design the finished cage would have been, I'd have opted to do a wood framed cage instead. It's fine as a c&c, but it would look better and I think function even better as a wooden framed one. When I have more time/money I do plan to work on making one.

Oh and Oreo had a haircut. The boys were getting a little wild with mounting each other, I just felt it was better for him to have short hair until they've settled down. He actually seems far happier without his hair! He popcorns really big, and he even wheeks now! He's like a different pig. :)

I hate their new cageI hate their new cageI hate their new cage

I hate their new cage

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
You could try changing it to a 2.5 x 5. That's what I have, with a two by two add-on to make an L shape. Mine is on the floor, and I can just reach to the far corner. It's surprising how much more spacious that half a grid makes it compared to a 2 grid width. Here's a pic:

View attachment 70335

I like your cage @janinehunt.

BrokenGirl

Cavy Slave
awesome cage :)

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Both of your cages look great :)

I'm glad you were able to work out something for both you and your pigs!

4TimeMama

Cavy Slave
Thank you BrokenGirl and AmberCalzone :) I am too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.