Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Bedding -- use with Disposable Bedding or Not?

JoJo2Cavies

Cavy Gazer
Newbie 1st time poster -- hello and thank you to more experienced cavy carers for sharing your wisdom!

I'm the mom to two human kids, and we've recently adopted 2 cavy 1yr old ladies to join our family. Poor girls were brought to the rescue with scurvy and severely overgrown nails, but are both super sweet and curious (one doesn't mind one bit being picked up, the other smells your hand but is a little skittish for the scoop -- however settles down nicely for a cuddle!).

We have the 24"x47" Midwest Guinea Habitat. I have sewn fleece liners to fit -- using one layer of fleece, sewn to a towel backing with a split in the center (like a pillow case), into which I insert a U-Haul furniture pad piece cut to size. I have to say this arrangement works QUITE well (*pats on back*).

Currently we have a litter box with CareFresh, and this is the area we put their hay and has their water bottle. They seem to pee mostly in there, but pellet production is hit and miss. So I sweep those up about twice daily and dump it in the litter box with the CareFresh, and then do a full "litter" change every 2 days and a full cage clean weekly.

That said, the litter box takes up some area -- and they track the CareFresh everywhere (and hay -- I need a hay rack). Soooo my question is:

Does anyone use JUST the fleece? How do you find it? Do they still tend to keep their pee in one area?

I was thinking I'd sew some smaller fleece panels with a furniture padding between, to put in this area instead of a litter box -- so I could switch them out every 2 days. I'd still be sweeping up the poops, but they'd go right to the compost. Would save on purchasing CareFresh too.

A side question -- they are sharing one hide currently -- but I'm thinking we need a 2nd as one keeps getting kicked out -- will they use two?

I have to say, their saucy & sweet personalities are pretty cute -- reminds me of my own kids! ;)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They'll still track hay everywhere. There's no cure for that.

Fleece by itself won't work. It's purpose is to wick the urine through to an absorbent layer underneath. If there's no absorbent layer, the urine just puddles up, and then you've got pigs with wet, and then then you've got bumblefoot, and then you've really got problems.

If you've got cooperative pigs, they'll pick a place they like to pee and use it the most, probably in a sheltered corner of the cage. If they're not cooperative, there'll be pee everywhere. You can't potty train them.

If the hidey has only opening, either throw it out or cut another hole in. There shouldn't be anywhere in the cage that one pig can trap another.

JoJo2Cavies

Cavy Gazer
Fleece by itself won't work. It's purpose is to wick the urine through to an absorbent layer underneath. If there's no absorbent layer, the urine just puddles up, and then you've got pigs with wet, and then then you've got bumblefoot, and then you've really got problems.

No worries here -- as I said above , I've sewn the fleece liners with a towel on the bottom, and then a removable insert made from a u-haul furniture pad. Likewise, I'd sew the "potty" panels from fleece (top and bottom/reversible) with a piece of the furniture pad on the inside.

If the hidey has only opening, either throw it out or cut another hole in. There shouldn't be anywhere in the cage that one pig can trap another.
This I had not heard or read before -- good to know, thanks!

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
For years now I've kept a c&c cage, fleece-lined with a litter tray (paper, paper-based litter, hay on top). Guinea pigs won't 100% litter train and they will track and drag hay everywhere, it's what they do. What you're doing sounds great! I do very similar, sweeping up and changing the try out every other day.
They love being able to play, sleep, eat, toilet in the hay.

JoJo2Cavies

Cavy Gazer
They love being able to play, sleep, eat, toilet in the hay.
Yes, I'm coming to realize this! Thanks for replying -- good to know what I'm doing now works for others!

Tonight I cleaned the cage and after they went back in we had definite pop-corning -- first time that I saw it that I could say "that's it!" We've had them 6 days now, and have loved every minute!

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Oh that's wonderful!
I've housed my pigs all kinds of ways and on fleece bedding with a tray has been the best for us. I've stuck with it for at least five years now.
The guinea pigs love it and it's pretty easy to maintain once you get the hang of it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.