Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Can guinea pig lives well under 80-90 degree?

Ping Leong Li

Cavy Slave
Can guinea pig lives well under 80-90 degree?
I'm moving back from the US to Hong Kong. In summer, it's always 80-90 degree, will they be okay? Thanks!

65 to 75 is ideal. Cooler is better than warmer. 80 to 90 is too hot.

Keep them in an air conditioned room. If the temperature is permanently hot like that, I don't think it's a good environment for them. If a home loses power and the temperature rises a short while, there are things you can do temporarily to keep them cooler but if it's always hot, it could hurt them.

you can get HARD blue ice packs (not the gel type ones) and put it on top of their igloo (if you have one, the cold will chill the plastic slightly and cold air sinks). also, you could wrap a layer of fleece around the pack and put it in their cage to snuggle against

Guinea pigs are susceptible to heat stroke at 85 degrees, maybe even lower if they're long-haired. You'll either have to provide air conditioning or put ice packs in their cage when it's hot. You can wrap frozen bottles in fleece and keep changing them out to keep things cool.

Thanks everyone, I just did some research on the Hong Kong guinea pig community, most pig die at age 5 to 6. Guinea pigs in other country live longer than that. I guess not many people in Hong Kong know they can't survive under hot weather. After I get back to Hong Kong, I'll buy a lot of reusable ice pack and put it above their igloo when the weather gets hot, thanks again!

Anyone here lives in a hot city? How do you guys keep you guinea pigs under heat?

My pigs are moving to Hong Kong which is always 80-90 degree in the summer. I did some research on the Hong Kong guinea pig community, most pigs die at age 5-6, I believe it's because of the hot weather. I bet most people there don't know pigs cannot survive under heat.
In my other thread, people suggest putting ice on the igloo and cage to make the temperature lower. I'm planning to buy a lot of reusable ice and replace it every morning and evening (before and after I work). What do you guys think? Anyone lives in a hot place? How long did your pigs live? Thanks!

Re: Anyone here lives in a hot city? How do you guys keep you guinea pigs under heat?

I don't live in a hot place, but I don't have air conditioning. In the summer, especially with climate change massively affecting my region's weather, we dealt with a long month of temperatures in our room that exceed safe guinea pig living conditions.

We used both solid cold packs and frozen water bottles. The cold packs are nice because they are flat enough that the guinea pigs can lay on top of them. The water bottles are much cheaper, and we kept a dozen in the freezer so they could be changed every few hours. Since you're moving to a new place, the best investment that I can recommend would be a window air conditioning unit. If you can afford to keep at least one room under 80 degrees during the summer, you'll have a much easier time.

@Ping Leong Li, you already have one thread about guinea pigs and heat. Please don't start additional threads when you've already got one going on the same subject. I've merged the threads.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.