Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Does this look normal?

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
I have only had my girls since February/March, and I'm wondering if this looks normal... Betsie's got large bald spots behind her ears that I have just recently noticed when she stretches or moves in certain ways. To me the skin looks totally fine, although she does have a little dandruff. Her skin isn't red or anything and I have checked all over her body for redness and scabs- I found none. Her ears used to be pretty dry so I have been applying coconut oil to her skin occasionally.

So my question is, are these just the normal bald spots behind ears/am I overreacting or could these be caused by dry skin/something else?

Does this look normal?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
It is completely normal for guinea pigs to have a bald spot behind their ear. However, if the skin is flaky, it could be lice, or mites. Watch the "flakes" and see if they appear to be moving at all. Does your pig seem to be itching at all?

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
The bald patch looks 100% normal to me! But, the flaking is a worry! As mentioned above it could be a sign of parasites but could also be a fungal infection. Or could just be dry skin, as you mentioned :) Just keep an eye on your guinea for further symptoms.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is Betsie a rex? I've found their hair can get dandruff more often then the other pigs so I've got some shampoo I use on Ginger a rex girl in the rescue and it works well...she did only have 'dandruff' when she came as she had an fungal infection..so maybe it was just that! But I have read Rex guineas are more prone to dry/flaky skin? Someone please correct me If I'm wrong!

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles Yes, I have read that they are more prone to dry skin as well so I'm wondering if that is where the dandruff is coming from. The flakes don't seem to move at all, in fact I have picked up a few and they appear to just be skin. My other piggy is fine, but maybe I'll take a second look at those flakes just to be sure. Could you give me the name of the shampoo you use?

Also, is it possible that this would only happen to one of my girls and not the other one??

aspecht

Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles Yes, I have read that they are more prone to dry skin as well so I'm wondering if that is where the dandruff is coming from. The flakes don't seem to move at all, in fact I have picked up a few and they appear to just be skin. My other piggy is fine, but maybe I'll take a second look at those flakes just to be sure. Could you give me the name of the shampoo you use?

Also, is it possible that this would only happen to one of my girls and not the other one??

The dry skin? If it is just dandruff the no doubt it could only affect one. Think of dandruff in humans. Just because you have dandruff doesn't mean I will, or for me, that if I have it my kids will lol. If it is a fungal, then definitely could also be that only one pig will show symptoms. Could just be that the pig in question has a lower immune system. I'd keep an eye on it, if you think it may be a parasite though, start treating as soon as you can to keep them in check. Good luck!

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
@aspecht thanks! I wasn't sure if fungal infections could be seen in only one pig and not the other. I will look at her thoroughly when I get off work today and decide if I should go see the vet :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.