Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming How often can they be trimmed?

Nuremberg Angel

Cavy Slave
My son two guinea pigs were rescues of sorts. Their lil nails are horrible long! I don't think the previous owner trimmed them at all. So my question is, how often can I trim their nails to slowly get them were they are supposed to be? And are there any tricks for helping keep them shorter between trimmings? Thank you in advance for any help, tips or advice!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would cut them as close to the quick as possible now and if they are still long do weekly trimmings to see if the quick will recede. I normally trim my girls nails every 3-4 weeks.

Nuremberg Angel

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks! I've been extremely worried about cutting too short.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
It's not really a big deal if you cut the quick. Obviously you don't want to cut them too short, but your piggy will be fine if you accidentally do. Just make sure you have some styptic powder on hand to stop any bleeding, or cornstarch/flour will do as well.

Nuremberg Angel

Cavy Slave
Ok. I just hate the idea of accidentally making any any critter bleed.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Although its not an emergency by any means to cut the quick, it's still something you want to avoid as it is pretty painful for them. As pigger123 said have some styptic powder or flour/cornstarch just in case to stop the bleeding... and also a piece of baby carrot. A carrot usually makes everything better. Lol

Do your piggies have light or dark nails? Dark nails are a pain to deal with but if you get a little flashlight and shine it up against the nail you should be able to see the quick enough. ;) Unless they are like jet black nails D:... then I'd rather leave them a little longer (but not uncomfortably long) and then just do weekly trimmings. But I don't have a pig with jet black nails so if you do maybe someone else who has a piggie with black nails can give you some tips. :)

Nuremberg Angel

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately both of them have black nails. So all things considered I think I will just trim a little off every week or 2 just to be safe.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I trim my girls weekly because they have really long quicks that just will not receed, so mine do have longer nails than most, but it's that or deliberately cut through the quick which I just cannot do.

But that being said, I've cut through the quick accidentally a few times and it makes you feel like the worst piggy parent, but as long as you get the bleeding stopped and provide veggies as compensation they recover quick enough ;) I soak their foot in a little warm salt water a couple of times a day for the first day or two after it as well to make sure they stay clean and bacteria free.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Dark nails are a pain to deal with but if you get a little flashlight and shine it up against the nail you should be able to see the quick enough. ;) Unless they are like jet black nails
Ugh! I know! My Cinnamon has ALL jet black nails. So it's kinda a roll of the dice, but as @LuvCavysLuvCats said, baby carrots always make it better.;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.