Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Anyone know what this is?..

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Found this on the boy that got rehomed to us today.. its really dry but doesn't seem to be bothering him.. its next to his right ear, a little over from the patch. Any ideas?

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1396826704954.jpg

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Jeez. No idea what it is, but I'd bet big bucks it needs vets attention ASAP. Looks fungal (possibly)

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
It kinda looks like dead weeds on the inside..

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
That needs to get checked out ASAP.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Did you notice any hair loss prior to noticing the open sore at all? Any pain to the touch or excessive crabbiness?

All details aside though, that needs treating urgently. Whatever it is didn't get that way over night, so it's going to be a progressed illness/infection, not a new thing.

(BTW not attacking you, if it was covered by hair it's not your fault you didn't see it. Just a harsh reminder to us all really that we should check under their coats more often)

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Thanks @Princess_Piggie he didn't seem to mind me touching it, as long as it didn't touch it directly. And yeah, I didn't even notice it until I took him out for some veggies, my mother tried to pet him and felt something weird. Ill try to get a more clear picture, phone wouldn't focus well. Hes very tame, likes to be pet, not really likes to be picked up, but what piggy does lol.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Would I be able to treat this without having going to a vet? Maybe Ivermectin? And PrincessPiggie, I just got the boy today, they didn't bring it up when I met them

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It may be an open sebaceous cyst, some kind of wart, or a form of folliculoma. I'd have a vet check it.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Ah, hadn't realised you'd only got him today! Still, it makes me think I should check under my girls fur more often. I wouldn't want to lift it up one day and see that!

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
I agree with @bpatters ...it does look like a wart. How would I go around treating this?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You take him to the vet, that's how you treat it. It could be very deep and need to be removed, there could be a smoldering infection underneath it. It's been there a while, and it doesn't look like anything an owner can treat.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I'll have to see what I'm able to do.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Guess I'm in the minority here, it looks like an already ruptured abscess that has already formed a scab to me. If it's dry and filling back in, then it's already a healing. I'd personally just clean it out and put some neosporine on it and watch it for a few days. If it is oozing (and not a dried scab), then I'd go to the vet and see about antibiotics.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Guess I'm in the minority here, it looks like an already ruptured abscess that has already formed a scab to me. If it's dry and filling back in, then it's already a healing. I'd personally just clean it out and put some neosporine on it and watch it for a few days. If it is oozing (and not a dried scab), then I'd go to the vet and see about antibiotics.

Filling back in? Not sure what you mean. Usually when a pig abscesses and bursts, it heals from the outside in, causing more pus to be trapped.

Neosporin isn't recommended for use on guinea pigs if it's in a place the pig can reach and ingest.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Its never good when an abscess covers and heals. I had MRSA 2 years ago and had to clean out and repack my abscess twice a day and was on heavy antibiotics after a 3 day hospital stay. That was so it never closed up but healed from the inside out.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I've cleaned out wounds in dogs and my vet has said that neosporin (which is a topical antibiotic) is ok to ingest (for dogs). My vet has also said that neosporin is pretty much the same as the antibiotic cream they prescribe. Also I believe this wound is behind the ear, where it can't be reached. Guinea lynx even says you can use neosporin can be use to clean grease glands in pigs. Although they suggest washing it off after cleaning (but again that is in an area he can access where this wound is behind the ear). I have had to "inject" antibiotic cream into my dogs wound (as prescribed by my vet). It was not necessary to pack it nor could I anyway because of the location of the wound. Cleaning it out/ using the neosporin would most probably soften and remove that crust/scab exposing it to air. If the wound is dry and not weeping or appears to be healing *I* would (personally) give it a few days to see which way it goes.

If money is no object, then of course going to the vet is always preferred over home care. Also, it is just plain good practice to have a new addition checked over anyway.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
As far as I am aware, in most cases with dogs it is not necessary to keep abscesses open. However this is not the case in guinea pigs as they lack an enzyme to break down pus, making it a lot thicker some people compare it to cottage cheese (the same applies to birds). It is because of the nature of the pus of guinea pigs that it is necessary to keep the wound open unless the abscess is removed encapsulated before it bursts. If the wound it allowed to close then it will just refill with pus that the guinea pigs body can not get rid of, causing it to build back up making the whole ordeal pointless.

In this case I do recommend a vet visit for an assessment of the wound, as they do not know how it was caused, how deep it is, and if there is anything still behind it. As far as vet visits go I would not expect this one to cost much more then the consultation fee, plus it would be good to get a general health check-up seeing as it is a new pig who has already presented with one issue.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Thank you to everyone who gave me a better answer than just a 'go to the vet' . Least now I know what to be expecting. Thanks!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Thank you to everyone who gave me a better answer than just a 'go to the vet' . Least now I know what to be expecting. Thanks!
Im not experienced or skilled in these types of skin issues. Sorry I couldn't provide a better answer...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.