Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant Guinea Pig Help

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Now I'm hungry, for potato anything (looking in freezer for tater tots).

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I really want potatoes now...

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Haha you guys crack me up. I love naming pets after food. Don't ask me why cause I have no idea. I have a dog named Pickle as well. We will have to see! I can't wait to see what the look like. I'm curious to see their colors.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I name pets after food too. I've had Oreo, Marshmallow, Strawberry, and Brownie the guinea pigs in the past. And I also had cats named Muffin and Cupcake.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@pigmommy89 I couldn't name my pets after sweets, the mere mention of a dessert item sends me into sugar craving mode.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Momma is seeming a bit restless tonight. Tried to lay down and sleep but got up after only a couple minutes. She is still eating and drinking like normal but the poor girl looks so uncomfortable she can barely fit through the opening of her hidey hut. Her little belly touches the ground basically. I really want to clean up her cage a bit but I don't want to take her out and I don't want to stress her out any suggestions?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd just clean around her as best I could.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
If she'll walk into a box with a bottom on it, you could lift her out that way without having to physically pick her up. But I'd probably just leave her in the cage. She should deliver soon if she's that uncomfortable.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Well I was able to sweep her fleece really good I left the main cage liner and just placed a single fleece sheet on top just to keep it as clean for her as possible. She totally cranky and I thought she was going into labor last night. I tried to check her pubic bones but she doesn't like to be touched (ever before she was pregnant she hated being touched I think she had a rough life previously). So I'll guess we will just patiently wait! I baby proofed the cage tonight just so everything is ready just in case. I'm really tempted to switch out her hidey for a fleece forest. I'm afraid the hidey is getting to small for her as she gets bigger. image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Switching out her hidey is a good idea. The fleece forest will give her some privacy, but the pups can run around when they come.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
image.jpg Sorry for the sideways photo. I keep trying to flip it and it just keeps putting it on the side. I switched out momma pigs hidey hut for a fleece forest. I also think that she can't get any bigger and then she does. Happy as a clam knocking over her food dish and getting veggies out of a cardboard tube.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

saresare93

Cavy Slave
At the risk of sounding horrible, I kind of want to see her trying to walk when she's pretty much just a ball. Any chance you could get a video of her waddling? :p

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
@saresare93 her waddle isn't to bad I think! It's not a great video but it's some thing! I had to prop up my iPad and leave the room or she doesn't want to move.

https://youtu.be/Vba06_XJAw0

saresare93

Cavy Slave
her waddle isn't to bad I think!

Wow she walks perfectly fine from what I can see. She doesn't even look fat when she's moving. I suppose it helps that all guinea pigs have slinky mode and fat mode - they can be deceiving. :p

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I was in the same exact boat as you with my pigs Freya and Ikarus! We had Ikarus altered (we got lucky finding a very good exotics vet only 20 minutes away from us!) and he is living happily with Freya and one of their babies, Sigyn.
It sounds like you have been very thorough on finding information for your little (or should I say VERY pregnant) Hashbrown :D I hope the rest of the pregnancy and delivery goes well! :) I can't wait to see photos!

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Wow she walks perfectly fine from what I can see. She doesn't even look fat when she's moving. I suppose it helps that all guinea pigs have slinky mode and fat mode - they can be deceiving. :p

the way you described their "modes" is too perfect xD That's exactly what they look like! xD My pig Freya does what I call "puffing out" whenever she is sitting in one spot and eating. She literally puffs all her fur out to make herself look big and it is so hilarious! once my new tablet gets here, I will try and get a photo of her "puff mode".

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
I thought I would let everyone know that I have decided on a name for the baby I will be keeping!! They still aren't born yet btw just wanted to decide on a name. My coworker actually helped me decide on the name and I love it! The babies name will be Heinz like the ketchup! I figured it went perfectly with the potato theme!

saresare93

Cavy Slave
the way you described their "modes" is too perfect xD That's exactly what they look like! xD My pig Freya does what I call "puffing out" whenever she is sitting in one spot and eating. She literally puffs all her fur out to make herself look big and it is so hilarious! once my new tablet gets here, I will try and get a photo of her "puff mode".

They make good accordions.

https://youtu.be/WeBgW2RcY6g

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
So I thought I would give another quick update on momma pig Hash Brown. I had to clean her cage this morning (like REALLY clean it was yucky) and so this time I scooted her into a box. While her fleece was washing I sat and held her while she ate her Vitamin C tab and I felt the babies move. I felt what I believe to be the teeth gnashing. I couldn't hear anything but it felt like grinding of teeth. I tried to check for her pelvic bones with the post from GL but I couldn't tell. So I'm guessing they may have already separated. I know they will come when they come but with the high risks that come with these pregnancy I'm nervous. I hope everything goes okay. Especially if she delivers over night or while I'm working. I'm thinking maybe within the next 48 hours. Who knows though.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
[video=youtube_share;i8Vu3xWGvvg]https://youtu.be/i8Vu3xWGvvg[/video]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.