Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior skiddish pig

pineapplepigs

Cavy Slave
so last month i adopted a new boar and he is very very very fast and skiddish its very unusual when i was adopting him i found out he was never adopted because of how skiddish he was. Should i try taking a bath with him and the other boars?

pinky

Cavy Slave
so last month i adopted a new boar and he is very very very fast and skiddish its very unusual when i was adopting him i found out he was never adopted because of how skiddish he was. Should i try taking a bath with him and the other boars?

Is he skittish or having problems getting along with other boars? If he's just afraid of being caught or held, I'd feed him his veggies while you hold him in your lap instead of putting them in the cage. If he's not getting along with the others, I'd be curious to know how large your cage is. As long as they aren't fighting, I'd let them work out their hierarchy.

pineapplepigs

Cavy Slave
Is he skittish or having problems getting along with other boars? If he's just afraid of being caught or held, I'd feed him his veggies while you hold him in your lap instead of putting them in the cage. If he's not getting along with the others, I'd be curious to know how large your cage is. As long as they aren't fighting, I'd let them work out their hierarchy.[/QUOTE/]
Hes scared to death of me. Stinker is okay with him but Potato doesnt like him much. I touched his nose while he was in a hidey house and he ran like i jabbed him in the eye...

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Is it possible that he has mites? It can really take a long time for some piggies to get used to their human. Try sitting by his cage and talking to him and hand feeding him veggies. It may take a lot of patience on your part.

Sugarbunnylet

Cavy Slave
It will take a while for him to warm up and calm down to being picked up!!! My pig Rigby (aka Rigbone /o/) is very VERY skiddish. I close a door and he books it.

Here are some tips from me to you. ♥

- Being skiddish is a personality trait, he most likely will always be skiddish (like Rigbone) so just accept that and know its not personal ♥
- If he has anxiety being picked up, try showing your hand, pet his head, and pick him up slowly. Being picked up is scary to these little ground creatures! Imagine being flailed up 100 feet suddenly!!! Pick him up slow with one hand entirely underneath him so he is secure.
- Give him some parsley or a treat once he is in your arms and you sit down. Teach him you are a good experience.
- Talk to him alot in a calming soothing tone as you do this throughout!

Soon, he will get use to you but it takes patience!

Rigbone is 100% skiddish and still darts from me like a rocket when he knows I want to pick him up, I talk and reach for him and its like he is saying "OH CRAP WHATS GOING ON WHAT R U DOING" but after I have my hand under him hes like "OH YEAH!! MOMMY" and I pick him up without trouble.

Good luck to you.. ♥

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.