Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage In a tough situation.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
x.x my pigs are in a closet cage, a little longer than a store bought, and fits about maybe 2 of them side by side.. x.x well, im running out of hay, im definatly out of pellets.. x.x and no veggies.. this is terrible, its pig-drastrious (disasterous) tonight I took them out, put a couple towels down
and let them run around a bit, I also gave them some cucumber, well.. x.x im not going to be able to do anything about food for about a week.. x.x same for space, they are still out and running, they don't popcorn as much.. T_T this is terrible.. does this make me a bad mommy? D: How can I keep my boys happy in such a terrible time? occasionally they fight, ive been told because of the space they are in, but can they with due for another week? x.x what to do..

Re: oy.. i dun like this..

I'm sorry but may I ask why you can't get vegetables or hay tomorrow? Sorry to be intrusive. >_<

You need to get them food! Guinea pigs need to eat, or their systems start to shut down relatively fast. Even if all you can afford is super cheap pellets and hay, you gotta get them something. Same with the veggies. I'd ask around, see if you can give frozen veggies in a pinch?

Do you have any friends with piggies or rabbits who might be able to donate some of their hay to your piggies to tide them over?

@NursePiggy unfortunately.. no.. I don't x.x im a lone piggy mama, and @cheshirekris uhhmmm.. parents get paid next Friday ._. I ran out of pellets on Wednesday, and I only have a bit of cucumber left.. x.x I think I have enough hay to tide them over for another week.. yeah.. does this make me a bad piggy mama? D:

Do you have a bank account? Any money saved up for a vet? I know when I first got Flower I went into my bank accounts a few timess

nupe....x.x I feel like a bad mommy...

Hun, dig for change around the house and ask for a ride to a store. A green pepper should be no more that $1 and petco/pets mart has incredibly cheap guinea pig foods. Not the best, but it will keep them going. You should be able to get enough for a weekish for $5 if you're careful.

Hun, dig for change around the house and ask for a ride to a store. A green pepper should be no more that $1 and petco/pets mart has incredibly cheap guinea pig foods. Not the best, but it will keep them going. You should be able to get enough for a weekish for $5 if you're careful.

Ok.. ill try that

Tractor supply has quite cheap food to. Do you maybe have a gift card somewhere. Yeah dig for some change in old bags in your pants pockets maybe a neighbor has a garden or a shelter could maybe help if anything you could volunteer and maybe they could give you some food.

There are a couple of rescues in CO. If you can't feed them, rehome them asap. Seriously. I can give you links and phone numbers if you like.

And please stop with the "x.x" I've no flippin' idea what that means and don't want to read it again. Please take an extra second and post with proper English.

My personal opinion on this matter:

I'm sure many of us have been in a situation like this before, whether with pigs or something else. Things happen and, as well all know, money disappears really fast.

Honestly, the pigs can go without pellets for a little while, but you HAVE to make sure they have PLENTY of their hay and veggies to make up for what they are missing in the pellets. I can buy over a week's worth of veggies (for 4 pigs) for under $10. I'm sure you can somehow manage to come up with that. If it is just for a few days, I would rather them have a lot of good veggies and hay than a crappy food that is just going to be nothing but fillers anyway. For $5 you should be able to get a couple bell peppers and some green leaf lettuce. If you have fresh grass, pick some for them.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I know it's tough. However, in the future you need to plan for times like this and have some savings set up. It will prevent times like this. Good luck.

My bad CavySpirit, Im trying my hardest to feed them, and im hoping I can get them a better life, time in my family is a bit hard at the moment, and all our big 'financial' things happen at the end of the month. If I run out of hay, I do have grass out in my front yard, I can find a couple dollars to get peppers, but Im going to leave the re-homing as a last resort, until im more than positive I cant take give them the proper care, and the.. "x.x" represents just a.. un happy face, but I understand, and you wont see it again. My bad.

I agree with the notion of getting them plenty of fresh grass and other forages if you can find them and they aren't treated - dandelions, dandelion greens, clover, etc. My pigs love those things more than veggies and if you can get plenty they will be happy for a week or so. If you can get to a farmer's market, they are often cheaper than stores and you tend to get more for your money anyway.

I do agree with the notion of rehoming them if you can't provide for them long term, but it also sounds to me like you're a kid kind of at the mercy of your parents - yes, another reason that these animals shouldn't be only a child's pet, but the child is in the situation just the same and rehoming doesn't seem like a terribly fair suggestion, especially since most places do charge a surrender fee. If she can't afford veggies, I don't know how she'd really afford that, either, and I certainly don't think parents in financial straits are going to spare such a fee, either. Nor do I think it's particularly responsible to rehome them to anyone who'll take them, either.

I guess I think it's commendable that you're trying to find a way to make it work and I think with some couch change and some forage work you can get by. Do make plans for making sure you are never in this situation again, though, and if you can't reasonably ensure it won't happen, then consider rehoming or surrendering.

I'm sorry, well, I'm not sorry, actually -- your pets should eat before you do. If you can't make that happen, you should not have pets until you can. Rehoming in those circumstances is the only responsible thing to do.

Edit to add, I'm quite certain that the two rescues in CO would take in a starving pig without a rehoming fee. Even though rescues ask a rehoming fee, damn few actually ever get one. It's a nice-to-have policy for many.

And, you're a minor? And your parents can't get food for your pet to eat? All the more reason in my book to rehome.

as @Sunny said try and find inventive ways to get enough $$$ to help you...friends, family members, odd jobs, IOU's, sell something on ebay or Craigslist....I know how much your piggies mean to you...I would hate for you to lose them, or put them in any harm, especially if this is only a brief window of difficulty for you....but also as @CavySpirit suggests if this is a sign of more difficult times to come you might be better off rehoming them...or seeing if someone could foster them for you until you get back on your feet. Keep us posted! I will send you positive piggy prayers!

@NursePiggy thank you, I am doing everything I can, and @Paula, yeah.. I understand the child thing,

I really want to leave rehoming as a last thing, what im going to do is if I run out of hay, ill just steal it from the front yard, I know its not treated or anything, and thank you for telling me dandelions, are not ok, ill keep that in mind. thanks everyone,

Im around Evans, a town called Greeley, any farms around there I can get cheap hay from?

You need to figure out how much your piggies eat during a pay period and budget it in. I know it's easier said than done, but watch sales on things like peppers and lettuce and look for coupons or deals. Or call local farms/farm stands and such and see if they have any "ugly" veggies they want to get rid of for cheap.

@GeekPrincess thanks, ill start doing that as I can :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.