Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Unexpected pregnancy- when will she give birth. Pups are here!

Piggy zoo

Cavy Gazer
Hi.

We lost one of our males about 3 months ago at a fairly young age. After going to the pet store to try and find another male to keep podge company we were too soft hearted and ended up coming home with 3 Guinea pig companions for our boy Podge. After observing them for 3 weeks I thought something wasn't quite right and took them all to the vets to double check their sex.... Lo and behold Splodge, Dobby and Princess Conseula Bananahammock (PCB for short) were all girls. I separated them straight away but obviously not in time as all 3 my girls are now pregnant. We had an ultrasound scan done last week and they are all at different stages of pregnancy. I have put Splodge in a smaller separate cage as I read somewhere that one Guinea pig in labour could trigger labour in the others. But even though the vet said she was ready to pop that was a week ago and there's still no sign of any babies and I'm worried that she'll get lonely. Her pelvic bones are about a finger width apart. How long do you think it will be until we have the pitter patter of tiny feet? I don't think I was this nervous when I had my children lol.

Re: Unexpected pregnancy- when will she give birth

It won't hurt to leave them all in the same cage as long as there's enough room for all the pigs once the pups come. Overcrowding can cause the pups ears to be nibbled. I'd put them back together before the birth, or else you'll have to wait until after the pups are weaned. One guinea pig giving birth won't trigger it in the others unless they're also ready to give birth.

Here's some more information: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/103012-How-can-I-know-if-my-guinea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

Fantastic thanks xx

Like @bpatters said, it's okay to keep them all together except for your male, he should be separated and stay that way until you find a male friend for him. Sows can get pregnant right away after giving birth. Also check this: https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction_faq.html - Update us with pigtures when babies come! :D

Thanks. I've already got him booked in to be neutered so he can be back with his girlfriends after 4 weeks. I'll keep you updated xx

But as Nannub says, be sure he's separated now. The sows can get pregnant within minutes of giving birth, and back-to-back pregnancies are VERY hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

Yeah he's on his own at the moment keeping him apart until 4 weeks after his operation xxx

Hi,

Just a quick update, Splodge had her babies last night, we've now got 3 new additions, i don't know what sex they are yet as I didn't want to disturb them too much. Splodge seems to be doing well and is a very attentive mummy. In additional news, Podge had operation last week and is recovering well although he doesn't seem too impressed with me at the moment lol.
Unexpected pregnancy- when will she give birth.  Pups are here!Unexpected pregnancy- when will she give birth.  Pups are here!Unexpected pregnancy- when will she give birth.  Pups are here!Unexpected pregnancy- when will she give birth.  Pups are here!Unexpected pregnancy- when will she give birth.  Pups are here!

Oh my goodness. They're precious!!!! Congrats!

Congratulations are in order for Splodge on the safe birth. I hope your other girls also experience smooth uneventful deliveries.

Cute! Here's the sexing information: www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm. Males can stay with mom for three weeks. They may "practice" earlier, but they'll be shooting blanks.

Congratulations!! they are adorable <3. I'm glad to know mom and babies are doing well :)

Hi, really sad writing this, we lost mummy splodge this morning. She was looking up after a uterus infection but the antibiotics from the vets didn't work in time &#55357;&#56852;. Dobby one of our other girls gave birth 2 days ago to 2 babies but one was still born. She seems to have taken over looking after splodge's babies aswell as hers, is this OK? They all seem well just wanted to double check xx

My condolences for your loss.

Yes the one mother, Dobby, should be okay looking after and nursing all 4 babies. Just make sure all the babies start/keep gaining weight, particularly as her single surviving baby is a little younger than Splodge's babies so the bigger babies could push it out of the way when it tries to suckle.

Fantastic thanks. dobbys baby is about the same size as splodges 3 and a bossy britches so on don't think there's much chance of it being pushed out lol. I've booked them in at the vets to be checked over tomorrow just to be on the safe side xx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.